cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jimkray
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

New Hard Drive Replacement but Very Slow to Install OS (8 hours) Authenticate HD?

HP Recommended

My WD 400 gig HD died and I replaced it with a Samsung 1 T. This is a Pavilion a6200n desktop with 4 gigs of RAM. When I install the OS with the 2 Recovery Disks and the Supplemental Disk, it takes over 8 hrs and very very slow.  When it finally "installed" it was very sluggish, and did NOT include the HP specific software or programs like it has in the past with other recoveries.The D Drive should say "Recovery" but does not. The new drive has been formatted to NTFS. Do I need to partition it into C and D prior to using the recovery disks?

My WD 400 gig HD died and I replaced it with a Samsung 1 T. This is a Pavilion a6200n desktop with 4 gigs of RAM. When I install the OS with the 2 Recovery Disks and the Supplemental Disk, it takes over 8 hrs and very very slow.  When it finally "installed" it was very sluggish, and did NOT include the HP specific software or programs like it has in the past with other recoveries.The D Drive should say "Recovery" but does not. The new drive has been formatted to NTFS. Do I need to partition it into C and D prior to using the recovery disks?

Do I need to somehow verify with the motherboard that this is a valid hard drive????

Do I need to somehow verify with the motherboard that this is a valid hard drive????

The OS is very  very slow. Could this be a power supply issue?

The BIOS is on default settings, sees the DVD and the HD correctly.

The CMOS battery has just been replaced. Did replacing the CMOS battery somehow cause it to not be recognized by the HP Recovery Disks??? 

The CMOS battery has just been replaced. Did replacing the CMOS battery somehow cause it to not be recognized by the HP Recovery Disks??? 

Even the sound coming from the speakers sounds distorted and garbled.

The OS is barely running. When I open the  Device Manager shows NO warnings (but takes forever to open up) yet sees I have 4 gigs of installed RAM and an AMD Dual Core Processor. It is showing an Windows Experience Index of 1.2 !!!!!!!!!!!

The OS is barely running. When I open the  Device Manager shows NO warnings (but takes forever to open up) yet sees I have 4 gigs of installed RAM and an AMD Dual Core Processor. It is showing an Windows Experience Index of 1.2 !!!!!!!!!!!

I also have used Acronis to restore the system on the old hard drive. I cannot even use Acronis to restore the image on this new disk (which should be easily done and much quicker than using the Recovery Disks....like 10 minutes), But that fails to work.

I also have used Acronis to restore the system on the old hard drive. I cannot even use Acronis to restore the image on this new disk (which should be easily done and much quicker than using the Recovery Disks....like 10 minutes), But that fails to work.

The system cannot have a virus since the drive is new. I've re-seated the RAM, changed the SATA connection to the motherboard multiple times (and restarted of course), disconnected all external connections except the speakers and monitor, ran the HD diagnostic disk and all tests were okay (including RAM, etc.).

The system cannot have a virus since the drive is new. I've re-seated the RAM, changed the SATA connection to the motherboard multiple times (and restarted of course), disconnected all external connections except the speakers and monitor, ran the HD diagnostic disk and all tests were okay (including RAM, etc.).

What is the issue? Motherboard authentication? HD authenitication? Both? Power Supply? It takes over 15 minutes to open up Disk Management.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,810 5,049
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The new hard drive may be faulty.  Check the straps on the new hard drive for the correct settings.  It should be set to cable select CS.  Make sure the sata drive is stapped for 3.0 but usually that is automatic.

Boot into the bios (F10 setup) to verify the hard drive.  You can also try diagnostics from within the bios.  The drive is obviously being recognized or you wouldn't be able to load the HP recovery disks.  Bios level 5.13 is the latest level posted.

When you reload the system, be sure that everything is unplugged except for what is necessary.

If the CMOS battery was bad then the clock time on the might be faulty.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
jimkray
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have BIOS 5.27 installed (June 08 version).

All components are original except 2 RAM chips (to boast to 4 gigs). Still slow.

All components are original except 2 RAM chips (to boast to 4 gigs). Still slow.

Any ideas? Motherboard? Power supply?

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hmmm.  Pull out the new 2 GB and then try the HP Recovery Disks. It reallly shouldn't matter but there have been cases when it was a solution.

Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
jimkray
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did it. Not a solution. I have run the HP Diagnostic CD disk and all hardware checks out okay.

Did it. Not a solution. I have run the HP Diagnostic CD disk and all hardware checks out okay.

I have sometimes (not every time) gotten beep codes of 1 short, 1 long that repeat.

I have sometimes (not every time) gotten beep codes of 1 short, 1 long that repeat.

I have a built-in video "card" connected to an HP LCD monitor. Could the video be defective?

I have a built-in video "card" connected to an HP LCD monitor. Could the video be defective?

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP BIOS beep codes.

0 Kudos
jimkray
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It seems to be a memory issues,  yet:

1) I ran memtest and all okay

2) I ran the HP PcDoctor disk and all hardware is okay (no failures on any item)

3) I installed (just to see) Ubuntu 10.10 on the hard drive, removing Windows Vista totally, and it runs perfectly.

What does that mean??

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try this procedure:

Unplug the PC and open it up. Clean out all the dust. Carefully remove and replace all the cables going to the motherboard one at a time. Do the same for the memory dimms and the video and sound cards if you have any.  You might want to buy a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the CPU heat sink.  Plug your PC back in and give it a go.

0 Kudos
jimkray
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Clean out the connections, etc as you suggested. No success. 

When an HP tech replaced my original hard drive about 18 months ago, he said that I would have to "validate" a replacement hard drive if I ever had another HD failure.

Do you know about this? Could this be the issue? I understand there is one for the motherboard too. Where does a guy get the software to do this. Obviously, it is HP specific.

When I load Ubuntu 10.10,  it runs fast.

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Older HP PCs used to require a "DMI tattoo" on the hard drive. And that process had to be done by an authorized HP repair shop.  Your PC is newer so I wouldn't believe that it's required.

Try pulling the upgraded ram dimms and then use your recovery disks.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation