cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ltcupcake Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No Image Backup in Windows Recovery on an Old Desktop--Options?

Pavilion P6537c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My father's computer (a desktop from 2010, I believe) crashed a while ago and Windows would freeze on the loading screen. At the time, I tried system recovery and that didn't work. I then tried to get help from HP at that point but they didn't provide me with any viable avenues for further troubleshooting. Because my dad mainly uses his computer to run a small online business I successfully installed Linux so at least he'd have a functioning computer, but it's a less than ideal setup for him.

I'd really like to reinstall Windows 7, but I know I can't use the product code that came with the computer to get Windows from Microsoft. I tried to get support from the HP website again, but the computer is too old and no longer serviced by them.

I just tried to recover again and I was able to look at the files on the hard drive through a command prompt and the Image Backup file is missing, which leaves me at a bit of a dead end.

What are my options at this point? Would buying a new copy of Windows 7 be my best bet? Or is the machine old enough that he just needs a new one?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
105475 96026 14832 22813
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No Image Backup in Windows Recovery on an Old Desktop--Options?

Hi:

The cheapest option to reinstall W7 would be to order a set of W7 recovery disks.

HP no longer sells them, but this non-HP vendor still does.  I think they buy up the remaining sets of recovery disks from HP after HP decides to no longer support a certain model series.

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-22711-windows-7-64-bit-recovery-kit-br347av-for-hp-pavilion-deskto...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation