cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lethersnow
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No beeps

Hi, I just inherited a Pavilion a1101n. When it starts up there are no beeps. The HP blue screen comes on then it goes blank. I can get to the bios but nowhere else. I reset the cmos but still nothing happens. I also pulled the memory and reseated it. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Level 9
2,800 2,766 181 738
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No beeps

Hello lethersnow,

You’re not able to boot to windows.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you power it back on tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.
Run the startup test.

This will test all the hardware in the system and detect any problems.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

0 Kudos
lethersnow
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No beeps

Hi anthony82, Tried the hard reboot. Still nothing. After the HP screen it goes to black screen. The fans run fast up to that time and then slow down considerably. Thanks for your time, Jim
0 Kudos
Level 9
2,800 2,766 181 738
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No beeps

lethersnow,

Were you able to run the diagnostics?

You might try to reseat the hard drive also.

0 Kudos
lethersnow
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No beeps

It will not get to diagnostics. I reseated the hard drive, but the same thing happens. I can get past the HP screen than nothing.
0 Kudos
Level 9
2,800 2,766 181 738
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No beeps

lethersnow,

Make sure that you only have one cable going from the tower to the monitor.

Has the computer worked since you got it?

Turn the computer off.
As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

Have a good day.

0 Kudos
lethersnow
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No beeps

I can get into the bios with no problem. I reset everything to the factory specs. It is still doing the same thing. When it boots up, the HP screen comes on, then it goes dark except for a small flashing line in the top left corner. (Sorry I don't remember what it is called. It looks like it is waiting for a command.) I got this computer it did not work. My in-laws gave it to me to fix for my kids. I suppose I will be able to use the monitor and keyboard, but it doesn't look like I will be able to salvage anything else. Thanks again for your time Jim
0 Kudos
Level 9
2,800 2,766 181 738
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No beeps

lethersnow,

You can test the HDD drive in BIOS.

Here is a link that will walk you through the steps.

Testing the Hard Drive Using SMART

This information applies to HP and Compaq desktop computers.

This document contains information on using the SMART hard disk drive device tests (select models only). When SMART is enabled, the SMART status check for all hard disk drives is automatically performed every time the computer is turned on or restarted.

For a more thorough test than the SMART status check, you can perform a SMART Short Self-Test and an SMART Extended Self-Test.

For more information on accessing and using BIOS and BIOS settings, see BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options .

SMART Support settings

To use the BIOS SMART test, complete the following steps:

1. Start the computer.
  2. Use one of the following methods to enter the BIOS Setup utility:
    • If your computer was built in 2006 or later (Windows Vista or later), immediately press the F10 key. You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.
    • If your computer was built before 2006 (Windows XP or earlier), press the F1 key . You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.
  3. Use the arrow keys to select a recognized hard disk drive device in the list and press Enter .
  4. Select SMART Support and press Enter .
  5. Select one of the following hard disk drive device tests:
  6. SMART Status Check: Checks the status of the hard disk drive SMART status. Displays whether SMART support is enabled or disabled.
  7. SMART Short Self-Test: Runs a short self-test on the hard disk drive.
  8. SMART Extended Self-Test: Runs an Extended self-test on the hard disk drive. This may take some time.
  9. Press Enter to start the test.
  10. The test begins and the test status displays.
  11. Press Esc when the test is complete.

CAUTION:If the test fails, copy the data on the hard disk drive and replace the hard disk drive.

Have a good day.

0 Kudos
lethersnow
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No beeps

The hard drive passed. What's next?
0 Kudos
Level 3 C4rbonC0pyTodd
Level 3
23 23 3 4
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No beeps

The unit is an 8 year old computer (specs here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00388344).

It sounds as if the unit is not passing Post (i.e., it doesn't even get to the part where the hard drive would load windows). Since it has passed the hard drive test with flying colors, it's probably something else...the motherboard itself, the memory, etc.

Something you may wish to try, if you haven't already, is open up the unit, unseat everything, and blow out all of the dust with compressed air to make sure that it's entirely clean, and then reseat the components. In some cases, this refreshes lost connections.

Todd

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation