cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
realdognose
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

No chance to enter Bios

HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 490 G2 MT
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello together, 

currently I'm having a Problem with the CPU Fan. (It comes to a complete stop, and then kicks off to 100%, getting slower until it hits 0% again) 

This is quite annoying and so I wanted to see what kind of Settings are available in the Bios. 

However, there is no way to enter the Bios. I tried out all ways I found in the HP-Forums, none of them worked. 

- Pressing ESC while it shows "Press ESC to show the start menu" - nothing happens. 

- F10, F1, F2, Del, no reaction

- Win+b before turning it on. 

- Pressing and Holding ESC / F10 before Boot

- Using Shift + Shutdown to force a "slow boot"

- Explicit disabling Fast-Boot in the Windows Energy Settings

- Using Advanced Startup Options to select UEFI (Uefi is not there) 

- Resetting the bios (remove battery, powerkey for 30 seconds)

So, I'm out of Ideas now. Any Advice? (Or any other possibility to sort the Fan-thing out?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,995 30,902 2,820 6,798
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@realdognose

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

From your description, sounds like the CPU fan is dying.

You went through all the usual stuff, and it appers nothing worked -- but I have to ask -- does your motherboard have a BIOS jumper?  If so, then switch the jumper to the other two pins next time you reset the BIOS.  That should work.

I had similar problems with an older HP Media Center PC -- in that it stopped recognizing the keyboard after a while.

What worked for me was switching out the expensive HP keyboard with a cheap $10 USB keyboard.  I did that, reset the CMOS (using the jumper and removing the battery), rebooted (with the cheap keyboard connected) and it worked fine after that -- until my client decided to go back to using the HP keyboard, and then we had to reset it again.

Also, I would look into replacing the CPU fan -- as that's a lot cheaper than replacing the CPU.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation