cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

No recovery manager on system , microsoft saying " preinstalled product" so won't give ISO

HP Recommended
Compaq 6000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all ,

I purchased a HP a while ago and have a new purpose for it , the machine itself has gotten slow recently and instead of trying to fix the root cause I wanted to just wipe the OS and start fresh.

I went onto microsoft and gave in my license key but they said the product came pre-installed on the system and as such I should look at the manufacturers recovery options 

When I went searching for options online I was pointed towards the recover manager HP provides , however that's not installed on my OS. I then went to HP to download the recovery manager but it's not listed as software under my OS and product combination.

So what are my options , windows is not giving me the ISO to reformat my HDD and HP doesn't have the required software to format it either !

I can get the windows 7 ISO easy but I'd be very worried that I could wipe the OS and then my valid product key could be rejected because it's for pre-installed software.
If anyone could give me some advice it'd be very much appreciated 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 10
4,379 4,360 405 628
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your best option would be to order the HP Recovery Disk to factory restore your computer to whatever OS was originally installed on your system.  Your make and model you indicate is incomplete so I do not know whether you had Win 7 or XP/Vista.

If you live in the USA/Canada, call this number...  1-800-334-5144.

If you do not live in the USA/Canada, call the HP business PC support number for the country you live in.

http://h50146.www5.hp.com/lib/doc/manual/desktop/b​usiness_desktops/6005us_332630_007.pdf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply !

Quite annoying that'll have to wait for a physical disk rather than just download an ISO. From reading up there's not even a guarantee that HP will give you the recovery disk.

"If a Recovery Media link does not exist on the Software and Driver download page that matches your HP computer model number, then a kit is not available because HP no longer has any kits in stock. HP has a limited supply of recovery kits to release to the public."

I'll leave this thread as unresolved for the time being just in case someone else knows if the windows key I have ( came with the machine) will work on a generic windows pro 64 bit.  Just I'd be worried that microsoft don't give out the ISO to match the key stating 

"The product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device.  Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,379 4,360 405 628
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
You can use any installation disc and apply the key that is on the PC's COA sticker (not the one that you see in Computer Properties that has 'OEM' in the middle). But you must have the same distro - e.g. Home Premium 64bit. The key for that would not work on a Home Premium 32bit or a Professional 64bit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation