Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
sterolos Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No sound after installing new graphics card, Help please!

Hi there, i was running an old graphics card in my xw4600 with no problems.. i bought a new graphics card, gts 450.

I've installed it, come to reboot my system and i have no sound. i've looked at my sound in controll panel and it says there's no audio device installed.. so ive gone onto device manager and unistalled the graphics card and the sound drivers for it.. rebooted, it installed them all again, and still no sound. ive gone onto nvidia website and installed latest drivers for the graphics card and still i have no sound.. i've also downloaded the latest drivers off this website for my actuall model and stil nothing.

Can someone help me please.

Thanks very much Steven

7 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
98023 13353 20622
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Steven:

What has happened...

Your new video card has an HDMI out port, correct?

The PC thinks not only did you install a video card but it also thinks you installed an audio card too.

So, it disabled the onboard video and it disabled the onboard audio too.

The fix is obscure but easy (sorry I just got to read this, and you have no doubt been pulling your hair out trying to troubleshoot).

Go into your BIOS. Go to your onboard devices configuration menu.

In there you will now find an onboard audio setting. It will either be set to Disabled or Auto.

Change that setting to Enabled. Save the setting there by hitting the F10 key and again when you exit the BIOS (save settings and exit).

When you reboot and get into Windows, your onboard audio will be back, and if you connect your PC to a TV via the HDMI out port, you will get HDMI audio to the TV.

Paul

0 Kudos
Elphe Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Paul, 

so I went into the BIOS system and changed the setting to enabled as instructed. I have installed a new video card as well and still have no sound after changing the onboard audio back to enabled. The onboard sound is detected. Realtek AC'97, in the device manager. It says everything is working properly and all the drivers are up to date. Why don't I have sound after that? What else can I try? 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
98023 13353 20622
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions you can try.

I have heard of a few instances where folks have enabled the onboard audio in the BIOS and still have no sound.

I take it that you hit the F10 key at the point you made the change (a must), and then again when you exited the BIOS (save settings and exit)?

If so, then I don't know what to tell you.

0 Kudos
Elphe Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes I did save the setting when i exited. ....This is truly dissapointing...:-( 

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2376 168 524
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you check sound settings in control panel? If you were using HDMI as default you would have to change default to speakers/headphones.

Jaco

0 Kudos
Elphe Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you explain how to change that? I went into control panel when to sounds,speechs and Audio Devices. I then clciked Change speaker settings. Under the Volume tab I clicked advanced and it is set to speaker Desktop Stereo Speakers which is what I wanted it set to, I thought anyway. Am I looking in the right place? 

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3551 279 525
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Elphe,

Sounds like you are in the right place.

Can you try running this automated tool to see if it helps.
http://goo.gl/u97Du
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation