Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use external speakers.  When I Skype or listen to music that is on my computer the sound works.  But I have no sound with You Tube videos.  I have checked to make sure that it is not on mute.  

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi! @ellenwheels, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you have issues playing audio on youtube using your laptop.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried using a different browser?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try using a different browser and check if it helps.

Latest Flash update leaves the Flash player with the volume slider turned all the way down. It is unmuted but you don't see the volume slider unless you hover over the mute icon. Once you turn it up it is set for the Flash player for all videos.

1. Sound settings. Probably YouTube video has no sound because the sound has been turned off on your computer. Hover over the speaker icon on YouTube to see if there is an "X" beside the volume slider. If yes, then click to unlock it and slide it to your desired level (this works for a large part of people).
2. Sound card. Go to another site to see if there is sound in other online videos. This is for your sound card verifying. If all other videos have sound except for YouTube, then your sound card has nothing to do with the YouTube no sound problem.
Web Browser for YouTube Video No Sound
3. Adobe Flash player. Check out the version of your Adobe Flash player. YouTube and many other video websites use Flash player for video playing, and Adobe Flash browser plug-in problems happen often, which, as a result, show up as no sound or audio in YouTube videos. Download the newest Adobe Flash player to have a try if you are still using the old version. Or get the previous back if the YouTube No Sound problem appears only after you use the upgrade edition.
4. Web browser. You can also try to test the audio by using different web browsers, like IE, Chrome, FireFox, etc, which may be a solution for fixing no audio problem as well.
5. Download YouTube videos. If you are tired of such YouTube videos having no sound problems for reasons of browser or player plugin, downloading videos from YouTube to avoid all of them seems like a good way out.

Let me know if this works!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,

The speaker is on when I go to You Tube on Chrome which is my go-to browser.  I did try You Tube on Internet Explorer and it works there!    Any ideas to fix it on Chrome?  

Thanks! 

HP Recommended

Hi! @ellenwheels, Thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the audio is working in youtube, it looks to be an issue with chrome.

Try resetting the chrome browser and check if it helps.

Please find the steps mentioned below to perform a reset.

On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click More More and thenSettings.
At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
In the box that appears, click Reset. ​

Let me know if this works!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nope,  didn't work 😞

HP Recommended

Hi @ellenwheels, I am the Jeet_singh. It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the update,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest the next step would be to uninstall and reinstall google chrome and let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Steps to uninstall Google chrome:

1. On your computer, close all Chrome windows and tabs.
  2. Click the Start menu Start menu and then Settings.
  3. Click System.
  4. On the left, click Apps & features.
  5. Find and click Google Chrome.
  6. Click Uninstall.
  7. Confirm by clicking Uninstall.
  8. To delete your profile information, like bookmarks and history, check "Also delete your browsing data."
  9. Click Uninstall.

Restart the PC and then download and install Google chrome.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Uninstalled and re-installed.  Still no sound with You Tube. 

HP Recommended

@ellenwheels, Thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

On the lower right side of the task bar, right-click on the volume icon, click 
Sounds 

click on the Playback tab 

check if the playback device is Default Communication Device or a Third Party 
device (i have Digital Power Station as 3rd Party) 

highlight the built-in sound device (i have IDT High Def Audio CODEC), click the "Set as Default" button.... 

check all volume sliders/controls just to see if they are set to mute, untick/uncheck if they are... adjust the volume to the desired level. 

If the issue still persists please uninstall the flash player and java from the control panel, programs on your PC and install the latest version of flash player on your PC.

Please update the flash player using this link.

Please update java using this link.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I click on the Playback tab it just shows  Digital Display Audio which is not enabled. And speakers which are enabled.  

HP Recommended

@ellenwheels, Thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps. 🙂

Can you share a video played from youtube and sent a screen shot of playback settings?

Did you try updating the flash player and java on your PC?

Try few steps mentioned below.

Open google chrome and click on three buttons at the top right corner.

Click on help click about google chrome and please let me know the version.

Try the steps recommended from google chrome help page and let me know if it works.

Take Care! 

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.