Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My daughter has a Pavilion p7 with an AMD A6-5400K processor which has no video output on either the integrated MB connectors or on an add-in card.

Since this seems to indicate that the GPU on the CPU has failed I am also wondering if there is circuitry on the MB which would cause this.

The bottom line is: should we be looking at replacing either the MB or the CPU or both?

Any guidance concerning this will be greatly appreciated.

FredBK

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Greetings @FredBK

Welcome to HP Forums and thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are not getting any display on the monitor with all the video ports on our computer. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying a lot of troubleshooting steps on your own.

May I know the exact model/product number of your computer? Click here

Were there any updates being installed before the issue started?

Recommend you try the steps suggested in this HP article

If the issue persists, you can try a different graphics card or contact our phone support for any service options available. 

Please follow the procedure mentioned below to contact our phone support. 

• Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Enter Product number or select to auto detects
  • Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

The computer is an HP Pavilion p7-1436s, S/N 4CE24400XW. It is out of warrenty.

We have tried connecting two differnet monitors, both indicate no signal, and also a TV via HDMI which also indicates no signal. The HDMI port is on the add-in card and not the MB.

The monitors and the TV both display properly when connected to a different computer so I believe this is a positive indication that the video circuitry has failed.

Since the unit is out of warrenty I simply would like some guidance as to whether I should plan on replacing either the CPU or the MB or both.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, if the computer was purchased with a PCI graphics card installed, then the onboard video ports will always be disabled. If you were happy with the performance of your computer. I would recommend you to try a different graphics card on the computer and check. Only if that does not work, you can contact our phone support for the service options or take the computer to any computer service center and have it checked. Do you get any startup sound or indication that the computer is booting to the desktop? Like the windows startup chime.

If you are looking to service the unit yourself, you can refer to this service guide for assistance. 

Keep me posted.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

With all due respect; You are not answering my question. The computer appears to be booting properly. There simply is no video signal, either on the integrated port or the card which was installed by me during trouble-shooting.

I am perfectly capable of replacing the MB and/or the CPU. I have built several homeservers and my current desktop myself and retired from the US Gov. as a computer technician.

Since this is the first time that I have run into a failure such as this I am simply looking for guidance as to whether I should try a MB first or should simply replace the MB and CPU as a unit. We are looking to keep expenditures as low as possible.

HP Recommended

@FredBK,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you wanted to know if you need tp replace the motherboard or the CPU.

Let me jump in with a solution for this issue in place of my colleague as he is out of the office today.

HP does not recommend replacing the motherboard or CPU. It has to be done by HP certified technician. You need to contact HP phone support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

If you wish to replace it on your own, you may replace it at your own discretion.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I realize that you are a HP employee and it is your duty to push HP services as much as possible.

However, in this particular instance the replacement does NOT have to be done by HP. I may be 80 yrs old but I am perfectly capable of replacing the MB and/or the CPU. I have  built two homeservers and my current tower desktop PC and done minor repairs on many others. 

Since I am not familiar with the specific way the graphics are handled I am simply looking for guidance as to whether we should considter replacing either the MB or the processor in order to reduce the cost for my daughter. 

I do know that I can take the path of least resistance and replace them both, which is most likely what I will end up doing.

Once again, thank you for replying.

We will consider this thread closed.

HP Recommended

@FredBK,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are comfortable replacing the motherboard of the unit.

As it is an issue with the motherboard, you may need to replace it.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.