cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Desperado1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

Num Lock

HP Recommended

Hi there. I have recently just bought the hp G62 and I'm pretty happy with it up until i try typing foreign characters. I'm a language student so need to type these characters when I'm doing my essays and as it stands i have to insert a character in a document every time i want to include a foreign character in a word. I know all the codes for ALT + .... but there is no num lock button on this lap top so i can't type them. Does anyone know how to turn the num lock on or easily type foreign letters? Thanks

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Cyclops
Level 9
Level 9
2,317 2,315 176 723
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The G62 Series notebook, does not have Embedded numpad on it, hence there is no numlock...Could I could i get the exact model number of your notebook so that I can understand the keyboard it is has been configured with....

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
0 Kudos
rubyrakesh
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Model no: HP G62 311Tx laptop: where is numpad or how to activate num pad..

Regards

rakesh Sharma

0 Kudos
gbmn4691
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue with a G62-347NR...It is annoying and tedious to copy and paste from the character map.

0 Kudos
Hanspuppa
Level 10
4,494 4,482 314 1,466
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello All, Here  is a link that may provide some information on the Num Lock issue.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
PC_Pete
3 2 0 1
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, you may have misunderstood the question. The forum link you refer to has the answer "press Fn+Numlock", which is not going to help desperado very much! :Wink:

In fact, the Presario CQ BIOS has an unstable NumLock function that causes all sorts of issues (on the 4 units I've tried). This seems to occur regardless of the model number or configuration.

In my case, in any application able to show the NumLock status, the Numlock status toggles on and off randomly! I'm hoping a BIOS update may fix this bizarre problem...

@desperado:I got burned by the same thing. Who thought we'd have to carefully check our new laptop to make sure the manufacturer remembered to include a NumLock key and keypad? WTF?

@HP : This lack of a NumLock key and keypad should be CLEARLY marked on ALL the advertising material and product specifications. These laptops are marketed to a particular price point, which includes mid- to-upper-range students, like desperado. That is a formula for problems (as we both now know).

In my case (electronic design), the package I use for development *requires* the asterisk key on the keypad. But when purchasing the CQ42, I didn't even THINK to look to see if the Numlock and keypad had been "left off" the machine!

Luckily, in both desperado's case and mine, we have (clumsy, error-prone, and annoying) work-arounds.

ChooChi
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I found on a site that you can can press CTRL (') Apostrophe, then whatever letter you need.

0 Kudos
wwonder
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

did you find the solution to the num lock problem ???

i'am having the same problem and i didn't find how to solve it usnig the keyboard

0 Kudos
abdavis76
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem - there is NO num lock key on my key pad, but somehow it's now on.  My 1 yr old son probably somehow turned it on, but I don't know how to get it off!  Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
salman_khan
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi ... i m using hp g62 and have a same kind of problem....
I have done the following steps to turn on/off numlock

easy and simple way 

1>click the start button.

2>type ''keyboard'' 

3> there appears ' on screen keyboard'. open that

4>on that 'on screen keyboard' you can find a numlock button at right-bottom corner.

hope this may help you..

reply me

'salman khan.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation