Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (1,946 Views)

P6-2128 Speakers, background sound but no vocals.

Purchased a P6-2128 for my wife.  It is straight out of the box, nothing done to it.

Powered speakers are plugged into the green speaker jack per the guide.

When playing a video from YouTube, there is only the background music playing.  You can hear instruments, but no vocals.

Windows>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Manage audio devices>Realtec High Definition Audio...

We are set to stereo with 2 speakers only.  Testing the speakers shows they are ok.

It sounds like we are getting the rear two speakers instead of the two main speakers, but we are set to regular Stereo.

However, plugging headphones into the front jack and the sound is right.

Am I missing something here?

More.. when I open the properties, I have sliders for centre and SubWoofer at 100%.  I can adjust them back to 0% but the foreground music is very weak sounding.  If I turn them up they drown out the singing..

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Professor
Message 2 of 6 (1,914 Views)

Re: P6-2128 Speakers, background sound but no vocals.

How did you test the speakers? Is there some kind of switch on the speakers themselves to turn the internal amplifier on/off? The problem you're experiencing sounds similar to the result of plugging speakers that have no AC power supply (and no internal amplifier) into that rear lime green jack.

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
Teacher
Message 3 of 6 (1,912 Views)

in Realtec High Definition Audio Properties all Levels are at 100% and enhancements disabled?  After that, as mentioned, speaker power isnt working or switched on.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 6 (1,903 Views)

Since both replies are very similar, I'm just replying to yours.

The speakers are powered, the power light is on.  I can adjust the volume up and down on the speakers when the power light is on, but I have no sound when the power light is off.

I'm assuming the jack uses a standard plug, the speakers worked before on the old computer, the sound was fine.

I ran through the HP troubleshooter as well.  The speakers are set to 2/2.1 which is the only stereo setting with HD sound.  These are all the defaults.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the audio drivers, same result.

In the meantime, my wife is using the headphone jack on the front with her headphone to listen to her computer.

Teacher
Message 5 of 6 (1,896 Views)

all audio sources (cd-r, mp3, etc.) do this or just YouTube?  If everything time for new speakers, otherwise maybe you got into some Karaoke mode.  No other audio apps running in background?  Check task manager, msconfig<startup.

Associate Professor
Message 6 of 6 (1,874 Views)

It seems like the cables inside have to be checked.
If you just purchesed it, then it's still under warranty.
Call a tech and let it checked.

V.
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation