Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm looking at buying a new computer and am considering a " refurbished "  P6750z (Athlon II x 2  3.0 GHz 700GB) or a new P7***z or possibly a barebones kit. A new P7z with Athlon II 2x 3.2 GHz and 500 GB would be $40 more and with 750 GB would be $90 more.

What's the difference between P6z and P7z ?  From the limited specs I've found I can't see any diference

-Are the cases the same size? Do you know what the dimensions of the frame are?

-is it a different motherboard?

-Is the P7 more upgradable for the future?

-I assume they both have that silly 250 W psu that I'll swap out

-any other changes especially any that affect performance?

The suffix C vrs. Z:

I also looked at a "refurbished"  P6***C.   The C has 4 memory slots instead of 2.   Any other difference the C makes? Bigger PSU maybe?

- thanks

p.s.  Yes I'm the guy that wanted to "upgrade" an SR5710F.  I decided it makes more sense to get a new machine, make the 5710 the secondary machine, and retire my old XP to back up emergency status.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Bobrob, HP uses the same case, motherboard and other components in many of its computers.  The main difference is normally the CPU, Memory, HDD, video device (these may be made specifically for HP)  and the power supply unit (PSU).  Fot this reason, the difference in the P6 and P7 computers may not be that noticeable.  You are correct to be concerned about the PSU, however, since it is the backbone of the computer.  It is not the place to save money for the user.

I have never been a proponent of refurbished computers, or for that matter, any electronics.  They may be okay, but I simply don't trust the process.  If it were me, I would consider the new HPE h8m series.  They are offering many FREE upgrades and shipping.  You ask about upgrading.  In my opinion, it is better to buy the upgrades in the beginning.  You can upgrade many of the HP computers to 460W PSU's.  These are powerful enough for most of the newer mid-level video cards.  I fully realize that budget is the main consideration when buying any electronics.  My suggestion is to save money until you can afford better.

I hope this helps you with your decision.  If you have further questions, you can PM me.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@old_geekster wrote:

... If it were me, I would consider the new HPE h8m series. 

Doesn't the "m" mean a smaller case? My understanding is that it would be difficult to put an upper mis range card such as a GTX260 into a HP "m"  computer.

For what  do, a fast dual CPU will be better than an average quad, and 4GM memory is fine for now and I see no likelyhood of needing more than 8 in the forseeable future (high mid graphics yes but not memory hungry use)

@SO I'm pretty sure I'll be better off with the P7 with the Phenon x2 @3.5 than the basic H8m series.

Am I right in thinking the H8m is smaller and would not be good for the larger GPUs?

-thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

The GTX 260 is nearly 11" in length so you might have issues trying to get the card installed.  I don't recommend an installation of a video card over 10" in a HP cabinet unless the user confirms by measurement inside the PC that the card will fit. The GTX 260 is rated at 182 watts at max so it will generate some heat and you will need a decent 500+ watt power supply.

If you haven't purchased the GTX 260 then you might want to consider the NVIDIA GTX 460. It's rated at 160 watts at max and you would only need a good 450 watt power supply.  The GTX 460 is 8.25" in length.  I am using one in a HP cabinet.

The ATI Radeon 6850 is a very good choice.  It's rated at 127 watts at max but ATI recommends a 500 watt PSU. It's 9.25" in length.

The higher the wattage the more heat that will be generated.   All three of these card are in the same performance ball park.  If you are going to get a high performing video card then consider a good 500 watt power supply.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I was wondering if the 260 would be a tight and hot fit - thanks - I'll consider the 6850, though the 250 might be good too.

The HP site leaves out some information about the models 😉

1. Are the P7z and H8m computers in the same box? same dimensions inside?

2. What is the PSU model in the P7 ? Continuous watt rating?

3. What is the PSU model in the H8m? continuous W rating?

As far as I can tell there is no factory CPU upgrade?

-thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

The HPE series means high performance and will offer faster processors, more memory and RAID.

The cabinets are nearly identical in exterior dimensions.  Both models use a microATX motherboard.

Which model are you indicating has no factory upgrade? Some models do have a fixed configuration when ordered but can later be upgraded.

Some models of the HPE series do have 600 watt power supplies.

Continous wattage rating(s) would have to be viewed if available on the label of the power supply.   The better industry power supplies such as a Corsair CX600 do have a continous power rating. It's easy to advertise a watt rating and have it mean peak but when a peak load is then applied and sustained the results may be "poof".

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

As far as I can tell, neither the P7z nor the H8m seem to offer a cpu upgrade during the "customize" stage of ordering. I cannot find any info telling me what the default PSU is on these models, and that is a bit frustrating. The best GPU offered with the P7 package is a GT 520 orHD6450 while the H8m can be upgraded to a GT 440  so I'm guessing the P7 might have a 250/300W PSU and the H8m might have 350/400 PSU?

Can anyone confirm the wattage of the P7 and H8m series?  Is there a web page with this info listed?

thanks

HP Recommended

Look on the >>Specs tab for Power Supply information.

If not listed there, then the power supply is CTO and you may have some choice while configuring your system.

Here are the >>Specs or CTO options, as of today:

-h8m series 300w

-h8t series 300w

-h8z series 460w

-h8xt series CTO 300w or 460w or 600w

-h8qe series CTO 460w or 600w

-h8se series  CTO 600w

-p7m series  250w

-p7z series 250w

-p7t series 250w

-p7xt series 300w

-p7qe series 300w

HP Recommended

Hi,

What seems to be the problem with the processor options for the h8m and the p7z?

HP h8m processor options.jpg

HP P7z processor options.jpg

HP Recommended

OMG!  There is nothing wrong with the CPU options,  I meant PSU.

Geesh!

So I think this was already answered - the P7z comes with 250W and the H8m comes with 300W and neither can be upgraded to 500/ 600 watts as ordered from HP? ( though of course it could be swapped out later)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.