Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rmorrp Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

PC Doctor failed error codes

Help!!

2006 HPc1487c w/2x1GB+2x500 memory gave up ghost and this78 year old geezer soon to follow.  But did a full restore and was able to run PC-Doctor which advised:  on system memory:

Failed Auxiliary Pattern Test error code ME516-3W

Checkerboard Test error code ME516-15W

Walking One Right Test error code ME516-18W

Bit Low Test error  code ME516-14W

Waling One Left Test error code ME516-17W

then prompty died again.  Logic tells me that a memory  module gone bye bye.  Can anyone advise me specifically on these error codes.  Thanks

rmorrp

7 REPLIES
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5023
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You might want to download memtest86 iso and burn it to CD using Imgburn.   Both of these are free.

You might have to remove and replace the memory dimms one at a time to find the bad dimm.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 16GB, 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz
0 Kudos
rmorrp Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks.  Did as you instructed with no problem but results appear to be above my pay grade as I can't iunderstand them.

There were 4 memory slots with 1gb in #1, 520 mb in #2, 1 gb in #3 & 520 mb in #4.  The slots appeared to be in 2 pairs.  I replaced memory with 1gb in #1 & #2 & reran the PC Hardware test which then indicated that all tests passed.  But when I rebooted, the computer would not get any further then displaying my desktop wallpaper (no icons or taskbar).

Figured something got corrupted so attempted a system restore which didn't work.  So did a F10 windows restore back to the original 2006.  Didn;t apply any updates or do anything except get rid of the garbage, trial & unwanted pgms. I use this computer tto primarily watch & record TV.    It worked fine for about 8 hrs then began getting error messages, windows installer messages & crashes.

Memtest86 has been running for almost an hour.& the only thing that makes sense is the "errors" which is now up 11,264.

I need to go to bed so am shutting it down.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks again

rmorrp

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5023
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

This should be your motherboard.  Be sure that the matched pair is in the blue slots.

You could remove all the memory except the dimms in the blue slots, run the memtes86 to be sure everything is good and then reboot.  If that works, then power down and install the next 1 gb dimm into the slot between the two blue slots. Then go thru the same procedure.

You are using memtest86 version 4.1, right?

HP Photosmart 6520
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 16GB, 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz
0 Kudos
rmorrp Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks Big_Dave. think we are on the right track.

Yes, I am using memtest86 version 4.1

This computer came with 2x520 mb memory whereas the specs say 1x1 gb.  I though this was somewhat strange, but couldnot get a definitive answer out of HP. I had mixed results in editing video and burning DVD's with Roxio Easy Media Creator 9, and the answer pointed to adding memory.

Knowing that the max was 4 gb but the specs say this computer couldn't use much over 3 gb, I added 2x1 gb.in the empty slots.

The video editing & burning worked for awhile but then the audio started being out of sync with the video on the burned DVDs.  So I gave up that hobby.

Now, your reference to "matched pair" confuses me however. Does this mean the computer requires 2 memory modules of the same size (i.e. 2x520 mb or 2x1 gb), with one pair going into the blue slots and the other pair going into the remaiining slots?

and since I have 1 pair of 520 mb and 1 pair of 1 gb,  which pair should I put in the blue slots and which in the spare slots?

Should I check the memory in pairs or each module one at a time?

Please advise and thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5023
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Matched pair means; same manufacturer, same chip type, same size, same CAS, etc.   You would buy a matched pair as a two memory dimm set.  You could have the same 512mb dimms in the blue slots and the two 1 gb dimms in the black slots.  I have matched pairs in the blue slots and matched pairs black slots and they are different manufacturers in my m9200t system. However, I was careful to make sure that the CAS and voltage ratings were the same (Samsung and Kingston dimms).

I have Roxio EMC 9, Creator 2009 and Creator 2010.  EMC 9 went unsupported 2.5 years ago.  EMC 9 was wriiten for 32 bit operating systems and it will not recognize more than 3 gb even on a 64 bit operating system with more than 3 gb.

HP Photosmart 6520
0 Kudos
rmorrp Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks Big_Dave!  With your help found that one of my 1 GB memory modules was defective.  Left the 2x520 mb modules in the blue slots and the remaining 1x1 GB  in the last slot on the right.  Memtest gave the setup a clean bill of health as well as PC Doctor. Everything appears to be operating normally now.  I am a little leary because I did a full system restore with the defective module and concerned that some files could have got corrupted when restored.  If further problems develop, will just do a full system restore with HD reformat. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Rmando Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

What is the problem with my HP desktop? I ran PC doctor and it gave me these error codes

PC Doctor failed error code as follows:

Results                      Test Name                       Error Code

X failed                       Bit High test                      ME516-13W

X failed                       Checker Board Test        ME516-15W

X failed                       Walking One left test       ME516-17W

X failed                       Advanced Pattern test     ME516-5W

What does this mean?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation