cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC Won't Boot After Changing SATA Controller Mode from "AHCI" to "RAID"

h8-1080t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. My desktop (h8-1080t) is about 5 years old, and is configured with two 1TB, factory-installed HDDs, along with a custom-installed 250GB SSD where my OS (windows 10) now resides.

Out of the box, the two HDDs were configured in raid 0. When I moved my OS over to the SSD about a year ago, I changed the sata controller mode in the BIOS from "RAID" to "AHCI." Now, since I'm about to sell my computer, I changed the mode back to "RAID" (my intention was to configure the hard drives into RAID 1, so as to increase reliability for whomever buys the computer; I now realize that HP's bios doesn't seem to support anything besides RAID 0).

Anyway, after making this change, my computer will no longer boot. I get past post and the screen is black with a blinking white cursor, as if the operating system isn't there. No blue screen. No text. Nothing. After doing some reading, it seems that I needed to do a clean OS install if I wanted to change the controller mode.

After trying to revert back to AHCI mode and even IDE mode, the issue persists.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
114,760 104,938 16,562 25,412
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is correct. You would have needed to install the RAID driver before changing the setting and restarting the PC.

Now it is in no man's land.

See if you can rectify the problem by trying the info on this link below...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976

If not, you will need to reinstall the OS with the drive controller set as you wish.

Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

That is correct. You would have needed to install the RAID driver before changing the setting and restarting the PC.

Now it is in no man's land.

See if you can rectify the problem by trying the info on this link below...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976

If not, you will need to reinstall the OS with the drive controller set as you wish.

Thanks for the quick response, Paul. Do you presume that the data on the SSD is recoverable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
114,760 104,938 16,562 25,412
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, it should all be there as long as you do not format the drive if you have to reinstall windows.

Just let windows install on the current C:\partition and it will create a windows.old folder.

After windows installs, you can browse the windows.old folder and recover any files (data, photos, music, favorites settings, etc).

If you are successful using the link I posted, you should have no data loss either as windows should boot up.

Worst case scenario would be to remove the hard drive, if it is a notebook size 2.5" SSD, buy one of these contraptions, plug it into a USB port on a working PC and copy the data from it.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=146957...

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation