cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Skulllady48
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PC turns off seconds after turning on power

Pavilion 500-223W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have side panel off and see the fans working, after a few seconds PC turns off. Power button won't work, will only come back on after plugging it into outlet and then only for few seconds.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Level 7 GOLD_MASTER
Level 7
564 544 67 123
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi.

Welcome to the forum Skulllady48.

Computer Overheating Prevention

Read the information of the following link:http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/my-pc-keeps-turning-off/td-p/431...

I am an Hp expert in Spanish and I am a volunteer.
0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,641
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Power button won't work, will only come back on after plugging it into outlet and then only for few seconds.

Some computers, as soon as they detect AC power, such as when you plug the power-cord into the wall outlet, will do a quick "power-on-self-test", which includes spinning the fans, and then turn themselves off.  Is that what you have observed?

It could be:

* the power-switch is broken;

* the two wires from the power-switch no longer are connected to the correct "pins" on the motherboard (loose?);

* power-supply is broken.  While watching the fans, press the POWER button.  Do you see a brief "wiggle" from the fan-blades?  If you do, then the power button is working. Got a spare power-supply to temporarily connect to ONLY the motherboard (not to the disk-drives), to substitute for your power-supply.

* motherboard is broken.  No easy way to "test" this.

Disconnect the AC power.

Remove all of the sticks of RAM.

Reconnect the AC power.

Does the computer "beep" to complain about the lack of RAM?  It's a good sign if it does beep.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation