Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I purchased a HP Z230 Workstation, Intel i7,  computer on the 24th of January. It has 4 PCIe slots. I tried to install a new Hauppauge Win TV-HVR 1800 internal HDTV card (a x1 card) into the x1 slot and the computer would not recognize it, (failed to detect it).
Trouble Shooting: I tried a second identical (1800) new card, and it would not recognize it. I tried a third identical (1800) known working TV card (pulled from a HP DC7800 that I have) and it was not recognized. I tried a Avermedia AVERTV Bravo Hybrid PCI-E (model H788) and it was not recognized.  I tried a second a Avermedia AVERTV Bravo Hybrid PCI-E (model H788) and it was not detected.   Lastly I tried a Hauppauge WIN TV-HVR 1250 card and finally the computer  detected the card, however it is a problem device and the drivers cannot be installed.  I also tried a ASUS myCinema ES3 100NAQ card and while it was detected, the drivers would not install because it was a problem device.  Other than the 1250 and ASUS, no card shows up in device manager as an detected device (problem device or otherwise), and the two that are detected cannot be installed. I have tried the cards in each of the PCI-E slots, obviously starting with the x1 slot first. I also put into the x16 slot a new Radeon HD5450 just to see if the slot was active and the OS recognized the card. I do recall that when I was trying each of the slots I received a two messages of a sucessful install but not of the TV cards, it was a sucessfull install of "Intel(R) 8 Series/c220 Series PCI Express Root Port #x-8Cxx installed" or a variation of the message. I then put the two new 1800 cards into two separate HP DC7800 computers and they both worked fine. So I am positive that the cards are OK, and the problem is that the Z230 will not recognize them. I am of the opinion that the problem is that these cards are PCIe v1 cards and the X1 slot on the HP's are Generation 2.  For some reason the HP slots are not backwards compatible as they are supposed to be.  I bought these two Hauppauge 1800 cards new to go into this machine.  Has anyone installed any TV tuner card into a Z230 or Z220 that is detected and works, as HP support is not interested in fixing the problem to make a ver 1 card work in a generation 2 PCIe slot.  I hate to purchase another card to find that I have the same problem

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”― Albert Einstein.  

Ignoring the foregoing since I did not get an answer, I think that I have done a stupid thing.  In my zeal to get the Z230 into service, meaning getting a functioning TV card installed, I bought a brand new Hauppague HVR-2250.  It is rev number "REV C4F2", so it is the newest Hauppauge card and the card that works in the Dell computer that is alluded to in the thread    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19535771.aspx
    Unfortunately this brand new TV card  does not work either.  The Z230 computer detects the card as a multimedia device, but will not install the drivers.  It has exactly the same problem as the Hauppauge HVR 1250 and the ASUS MyCinema cards.

I then tried to install the card into my brand new Z220 and by some miracle it was detected, and the drivers installed without any problem whatsoever.  I then installed WINTV on the Z220 and it works perfectly.

Given the fact that this is a brand new card, and given the fact that it installs in a new Z220, I am more thoroughly convinced than ever that this failure to be detected by the Z230  is purely a HP problem, whereby the Gen 2 PCIe slot does not recognice (detect) generation one cards, and when it does "detect" it, there is a problem installing the card.

FYI upon installing the drivers in the Z230, the message that I am getting is:
"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".  Bear in mind that this same instalation package and device driver works perfectly in the Z220, a nearly identical (albiet one generation behind- meaning the Z220 has a ivy bridge i7 processor and the Z230 has the haswell i7 processor).

Still need to know if there is a tv card that works in a HP Z230 i7 running windows 7 pro

HP Recommended

I seem to be the only person posting replies.  This is an update.

In keeping with Einstein's quote that stupidity in infinite, in furtherance of using this Z230, I also bought a new SYBA SD-SA2PEX-1E1I PCI Express SATA II (3.0Gb/s) Controller Card, eSATA + SATA II PCI-e Controller Card, Sil3132 Chipset, Hot Plug, from NEWEGG.  Following the directions, I inserted it into PCIex1 slot, turned on the computer, and the card was NOT detected. Again it was not recognized as being in the computer. It, according to the accompanying literature, is compliant with the PCIe 1.0a specification. Also according to accompanying literature it is supposed to show up in device manager "Under the Storage Controllers category, Silicon Image SATALink controller". I get nothing, no bang no controller, no found device. After trying to install in a brand new HP Z230, I then tried to install it into a brand new HP Z220. Both were running Win 7 Pro. I ran into the same problem, it was not discovered, recognized or detected.
I then tried to install the card into my HP DC7800 running windows 8.1. The computer and operating system detected the card as a Serial ATA Controller in device manager.  I merely wanted to see if it would be detected. I bought it to install in to the Z230 to add a eSATA port without using one of the onboard SATA ports and an adapter.
This card is brand new and I read the reviews before I bought it. Only one person said that it was not recognized (detected) on a Windows machine, one of his two machines, but said that it was detected on one of his intel i7 computers. I figured surely I will not have the same problem, but I did. The HP machines have gen 2 PCIe slots and I have been having problems getting them to recognize Gen 1 PCIe cards. The cost of returning them versus the refund make it not worth the cost. Do not buy this computer if you have a cards that are generation 1 and you want to use them.  I posted a negative review of the problem on newegg and the manufacturer posted the following:
    "Manufacturer Response:    Dear Customer,
    Perhaps the system needed to be updated before the cards will be recognized.    Please check that the motherboard/BIOS is up-to-date and that any system settings have been applied.    Download the latest drivers from our website and install them. They may need to be installed    manually.    Thank you for purchasing one of our products, and for leaving us your valuable feedback.    Please feel free to contact us @ sybausa.com if you require further assistance.    Regards SYBA CST 02242014"
  I have made sure that everything is up to date, bios, chipset etc.  Also, I did try the newest drivers from the manufacturers website, but having drivers dose not do any good if the computer will not detect the device.  
    I would really like to know if anyone else has had trouble installing any PCIe device into a Z230, because so far I am 1 for 10. Three Hauppauge 1800's, two avermedia bravo's, one Hauppauge 1250, one Hauppauge 2250, 1 ASUS MyCinema, and one SYBA controller card.  The only card detected without a problem was the ATI 5450 video card which I do not intend to install.

HP Recommended

I also have had a problem getting a TV Tuner card to be recognized although By a Z220 running Windows7.  The TV tuner card is an AverMedia HD Duet Model A188.  I tried both the PCIe1x slots and made sure the BOIS was configured to allow these ports to be detected.  Sounds like HP may have a problem.  Does anyone have a solution to this?  If I buy a Gen2 PCIe card is it guaranteed to work?  How do I know if it is a Gen2 PCIe card or not?

HP Recommended

You are in luck if you have a Z220.  In my earlier post I believe that I stated that I purchased a new Hauppauge HVR-2250,  Model 1229, with a version code of "REV C4F2".  It works great in Z220 but not in my Z230.  The A188 card and the slot problem is discussed in the link set forth in my first post.  That link is 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19535771.aspx

The writer discusses his problem with the avermedia card and the generation 2 slots, and also the fact that the earlier version of the Hauppauge 2250 does not work, while the later version does.  I bought mine at staples so that I could return it in the event that it was an earlier version or was not detected.
    I am still looking for a card that works in the Z230. 

I do not know how one tells if a card is a generation one or later.  I looked up a number of cards in an attempt to find a generation 2 card [PCIe v2.0 or 2.1], but the information is not stated on the cards.  Generally they merely state that they need to go into a x1 slot.  I too would like to know the answer to your question posed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.