cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jackdaws
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Pavilion 23-b090ea All-in-One PC: Blank Screen on Booting

HP Recommended
Pavilion 23-b090ea
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Product Name: Pavilion 23-b090ea All-in-One PC

Product No: C3S61EA#ABU

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Description of the Problem: I updated the BIOS of my Pavilion 23-b090ea All-in-One PC to the most recent version for this model (v8.17). The HP Download and Install Assistant indicated that the installation had completed and that it could be closed. When I restarted the PC the screen remained blank. Not even the usual HP logo was displayed. There was, however, hard disk activity.

What I've tried so far:

1. I followed the instructions in the following document:

HP and Compaq All-in-One and HP TouchSmart Desktop PCs - Screen is Blank after Starting the Computer

ie I've done the following:

• Turn off the computer, and then remove the power cord.
  • With the power cord disconnected, press and hold the power button for five seconds.
  • Reconnect the power cord, and then turn on the computer.
  • Repeatedly press the F10 key about once every second for five seconds after turning the computer on.
  • Wait five seconds.
  • Press the F5 key. This restores the default settings of the BIOS.
  • Press the Enter key. This accepts the changes.
  • Press the F10 key. This opens the Save and Exit window.
  • Press the Enter key. This saves the changes, exits the BIOS, and then the computer restarts.
  • After the computer restarts, the screen should display the HP logo.

Results: I tried this several times, and each time the computer did not not automatically restart. When I turned the power off/on, the screen remained blank and the HP logo was not displayed.

2. I also tried the alternative instructions in this document for resetting the BIOS when the screen is blank:

HP All-in-One Desktop PCs - Computer Starts but Monitor/Screen Remains Blank (Windows 😎

ie I've tried the following:

• Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key for eight seconds.
  • Press the Down arrow three times.
  • Press the Enter key two times.
  • The computer restarts.

Results: I tried this several times. The computer did not automatically restart. When I turned the power off/on, there was still nothing displayed on the screen.

3. I logged into my router and the PC appeared as inactive on our wireless network. I then powered on the PC without pressing F10. The screen remained blank but there was disk activity for a few minutes. The router then showed the PC as active on the network.

4. From a laptop running Vista, the PC showed in the Network and Sharing Centre - "View Computers and Devices" as on the network. From there I was able to connect to the PC - it accepted the user name and password, and a print server folder was listed under the PC.

Conclusion so far: It appears that the PC is starting up and getting far enough to be able to connect to our wireless network, but it is not able to display on the screen.

Can anyone help with resolving this?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Malygris1
Retired
Retired
7,771 6,895 454 848
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @Jackdaws,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you have power to your computer, but the display is remaining blank.

From your  own description, you have completed all the steps in HP and Compaq All-in-One and HP TouchSmart Desktop PCs - Screen is Blank after Starting the Computer, in the section for the the screen remains blank and does not display the HP logo screen, except for the final one. As you had already done the steps several times as you said, the only remaining thing to do was to contact HP  for service. Contact HP Worldwide

Please let me know how that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation