cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mike7877
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Pavilion 500 adding hard drive

Bought a Pavilion 500 desktop last week.  Kind of disappointed with the documentation that came with it, also disapointed with the documentaion on this website, just seems to have PDF files of the two manuals that came with the computer (but, maybe I'm not looking in the right place).  There was nothing in the documentation that came with the computer that shows what the computer looks like inside, no info at all about updating the computer (adding another hard drive - what about the memory?).  I'd open the computer up and take a look to see what's inside, but the manual says that if I open the computer and break the security seal I'm confirming that the computer was working properly before I attempted to upgrade the computer, and if the security seal is broken it could screw up my warranty.  I'm thinking that there must be space for another hard drive, but who knows.  I'd like to install the IDE drive from my old computer, not sure if this is possible.  I know I can get a drive enclosure and plug it in to a USB port, but would rather install the drive in the computer (maybe screwing up the warranty...).  If an IDE drive can't be installed in the computer as it is, maybe some kind of a SATA to IDE adapter or card would work.  Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Level 15
Level 15
10,301 10,135 1,376 3,793
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

What is the exact model number, or product code? Saying it's an HP Pavilion 500 is like saying I own a Chevy.

Is it this that or what?

Why do you want to add an old style EIDE hard drive? The programs on it will not be accessible. Only data.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
Mike7878
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'm Mike7877, tried to reply before but HP told me I had to sign in.  Tried to sign in, HP said I didn't exist, my name didn't exist, my password was wrong, my email address didn't exist...  So I registered again as Mike7878.  The computer is a Pavilion 500-098.  I live in Canada, this is it (it was on sale when I bought it, almost $140 off).

0 Kudos
Mike7878
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Oh, have lots of files on it I'd like to transfer to the new computer, no programs.  Videos and pictures.  I transfered some using a USB drive, but there's still some stuff on the drive I'd like.  And even though it's an older IDE drive, it's 500 GB of storage I'd have if I could install it in the computer.

0 Kudos
Mike777777
3 3 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I guess nobody knows.  Oh, well.  And trying to use the support forums here is very frustrating, HP keeps telling me that I don't exist and I have to keep re-registering under a different name.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

According to the respondents, this adapter converts IDE drives to a Sata port.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
Mike777777
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

That's just an adapter, but I'll need  some wires to connect the adapter from the hard drive to the computer.  And where do I put the hard drive inside the computer?  Do I have space in my computer for another hard drive?  I probably do, but HP documentation is crap.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

A specific upgrade tutorial has not been created. You will need to actually look to see if another drive bay exists either below the DVD drive (5.25" adapter rail to 3.5"), or with the internal hard drive. As for your comment, I thought you understood you needed 1) Sata power lead and molex power lead (from your PSU), and 2) Sata data cable. Wishing you well with your endeavor.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Mike777777
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for the help, I'm a bit dense sometimes. 🙂

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation