cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mikeeyy
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion P6 wont Boot

Pavilion P6-2302 eam
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have an  pavilion P6-2302eam   i3

it wont start up

It will switch on and display the HP logo on the monitor and then does nothing else

the keyboard and mouse are not working, no lights or anything on either so cant get into the bios or press escape ect

If i remove the memory and power it, it will bleep a few times so im guessing the POST is starting to do something

any ideas on what the problem is ?

it looks like its starting up but getting stick somewhere,

i have removed all the drives, readers ect but it still gets stuck

what is the startup process,  does it do some sort of POST before the BIOS starts

thanks

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Level 17
Level 17
46,737 40,998 4,453 11,596
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion P6 wont Boot

Disconnect the power cord from the PC.

Remove the memory module(s) and put a single stick in the DIMM slot closest to the CPU. 

Disconnect the hard disk.

Reconnect the power cord and press the power button.

What happens? If it powers on and goes through the POST and tells you it found no bootable operating system, you now know that there is a failed memory module that is causing the issue.

If no positive result with that module, try the other memory module in the same slot as the one you just tested. 

Please post your results.

If the preceding troubleshooting did not provide positive results, then there is likely to be a problem with the BIOS.  

See the following document on recovering the BIOS and follow the steps carefully. It may take up to 15-20 seconds for the BIOS to react to the Windows key + B key, so please be patient

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6-Desktop-PC-series/5295969/model/5327850/document/...

Post any other questions you have in your thread.
You can click on accept as solution if my post or reply was the information you needed to resolve your issue.
You can say thanks if my reply helped by clicking on the blue thumbs up+.
0 Kudos
Mikeeyy
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion P6 wont Boot

Hi

Tried swapping memory around and re powering to no avail

dont think its a memory issue, looks like its gettting stuck somewhere in the POST

memory tests OK, i get 5 bleeps when there is no memory

video card appears to start up as disply shows HP logo

then it gets stuck,

keyboard and mouse do not work and i dont thinks its looking for the harddrive yet

Tried the BIOS thing with windows and B, nothing happens but im not sure the keyborad/usbs are working

what order do the POST tests go in

memory

Video Card

????

????

Mike

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion P6 wont Boot

If you disconnect the hard disk and then power on the system, what happens?

If it completes the POST to the point where it looks for an operating system on a hard drive and then when it finds none, reports that no bootable operating system is found, then the problem is the hard disk. 

You can click on accept as solution if my post or reply was the information you needed to resolve your issue.
0 Kudos
Mikeeyy
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion P6 wont Boot

nothing happens just hangs with the HP logo on Monitor

No messages to say operating system is missing

not sure its getting as far as trying to load operating system

even though got a blue light on power button

the keboard is not being seen so cant enter setup ect

is the POST done by the BIOS

if im getting beeps with no memory in does this mean the BIOS is working ?

Mike

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion P6 wont Boot

OK. The issue isn't the hard disk. The BIOS may be working, but a failed memory module will cause a hang like you are experiencing.

Try the following memory module test. Do it with power off when removing and replacing the modules. Once the modules are in the desired position you can plug the PC in again.

Remove the memory modules.  

Put a single stick in the slot closest to the CPU and then power it on. What happens?

If no positive result, remove that memory stick and replace it with the other one.

0 Kudos
Mikeeyy
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion P6 wont Boot

Thanks for the help guys

still not working, swapping memory modules has no effect

As its checking the memory and starting the video card does it mean the bios is OK

how easy is it to replace it ?

Mike

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion P6 wont Boot

I suggest making an HP PC Hardware Diagnostics 3-in-1 USB Key

You will need a flash drive that is at least 8GB.  It has a feature that will allow you to recover the BIOS

Download the latest version from the following HP web page.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl_...

0 Kudos
Mikeeyy
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion P6 wont Boot

Hi

made the stick, plugged it in and problem remains

ill keep trying

Im not sure the usbs are working as, as stated before the keyboard and mouse are not working

only way to connect them is by usb

at what point in the startup/POST/Bios initalations does the USB ports get activated

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation