Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 2 (2,144 Views)

Pavilion Slimline s3040 CPU upgrade

[ Edited ]

Hi folks,

I was recently given a Pavillion Slimline s3040 by a friend who was upgrading.  Now this machine is pretty bare bones, it's not got a hard drive, memory or CPU.  Now I have some memory that I know works and I have an SATA hard drive kicking around but I wasn't entirely sure about the CPU support.

The system used to have an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ CPU so I presume I'd have to find something around this level.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find a new Athlon X2 3800+ anywhere (apart from at stupid prices on eBay).  I was wondering if anyone knew what the highest spec CPU that this board would take?

I'm planning on using the system as a high definition media centre PC (not sure if I'll stick with Vista or install MythTV yet) so I'm trying to get a comprimise between CPU speed and the noise.

I found a document here which suggests that it will take a 65W Athlon X2 so I presume the newer Kuma based CPU's won't work.

So I'm wondering if maybe something like the Athlon X2 4850e 45W CPU would work?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

0 Kudos
Professor
Message 2 of 2 (2,131 Views)

Re: Pavilion Slimline s3040 CPU upgrade

[ Edited ]

I have the same motherboard in my slimline and the max is around Athlon64 X2 5000+  65 Watt. Trust me when I say whatever you hear about the newer processors working. They will not.

You may also want to read this and if he/she did not send it in you may have issues later.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01514044

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation