Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (5,925 Views)

Pavilion Slimline s3120N - No Video after computer starts

HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n.  When I turn the computer on and is sounds like it is starting normally but No Video.  I have tried disconnecting all extra components from the motherboard, resetting the Cmos with the jumper.  I followed the instructions on the HP website to reset the BIOS to Default (blind) all make no difference, still no video. I have tried several different monitors and monitor cables. I have checked the pins on the cable and the motherboard connector.  I have taken the motherboard out and looked the see if there were damaged or loose connections on the VGA connection or the onboard Video card, all look good.  Can anyone Please help me figure out what is wrong?  thank you.

Interesting to note:  I had not heard any beep anytime when i booted up this computer so just to test to see if it would beep i dosconnected the keyboard and mouse and romoved both ram modules (Memory Sticks) and them started the computer expecting to sear the beep sequence indicating the memory or keyboard was missing,  I got nothing,  no beeps at all.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 7 (5,911 Views)

Re: Pavilion Slimline s3120N - No Video after computer starts

You've already tried a lot of the things I would have suggested.

Given no beeps at all with the RAM disconnected, my thoughts are

1) Motherboard is dead

2) Power Supply is dead or has some other issue

3) CPU may be bad, or, perhaps needs to be reseated.

1&2 are not good/easily replaced, etc.   I'd try #3 and see if that makes a difference.   Try removing the CPU, reseating it, etc.

-DM (while I'm a long-time HP employee, the comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (5,908 Views)

have already tried reseating the CPU.  forgot to mention it.  the whole thing is strange.  here is another piece of the Puzzle.  if i open the CD tray and place a cd in it then shut off the PC, when i trun the pc back on the tray will close and read the cd like it is trying to boot to it.  at least that is what it sounds like it is doing.  of course i cant see it on the screen.  so in some way the Bios must be reading in order to close the Cd tray and read the disk,  Right?

do you think it is the power supply not supplying power to the Onboard Video Card?  I have tried an OLD PCIO video card and that did not work.  i dont have a VGA video card i can use to try the VGA slot.

would you know how i could test the power supply?  spacifically where i could find out what pin supplies power to the onboard Video Card?

I sure appreciate the help.

Master's Graduate
Message 4 of 7 (5,902 Views)

If its the embedded video, then it would just pull power from the PSU via the motherboard pins, like everything else.  I haven't a pin-out for the PSU, but I'd expect you'd see the standard +5, +12, Ground, etc....

-DM (while I'm a long-time HP employee, the comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Honor Student
Message 5 of 7 (5,823 Views)

I have recently acquired an HP Pavilion Slimline s3120n Desktop PC that was not

working. I brought it home, swap[ped out the RAM and voila! It worked...until a

friend of mine attempted to experiment with upgrading the video card. Having no luck,

he said he "uninstalled the onboard video" through Windows 7 device manager. Now the

computer will no display anything at all when powered on. It sounds like Windows is

starting, with the fans running, indicator lights, etc...but no video at all at boot.

After reading many users' frustrations with this model, I read something about a

motherboard recall that addressed this issue. Un fortunately, that expired a couple

of years ago. So I thought it might be the motherboard. I ordered a new board from

eBay and installed it today. With fingers crossed, I predded the power button

and....same situation - no video.

Before I return the MOBO and pitch the whole thing out the window, do any of you have

any ideas as to what may be causing this? I don't know the order of items in the

POST, or where it may be encountering a problem and not displaying an image, but if

you have any suggestions, PLEASE reply.

--FRUSTRATED IN INDIANA

Student
Message 6 of 7 (5,591 Views)

Same old problem with s3120n .Powers on but won`t boot and no video..Purchased in 2007 ,out of warrantry,and was working fine until 9-20-11.. uses VISTA......Knew it had a boot problem for these models back when they first came out,but mine was fine...Have tried several suggestions, checked monitor,reset memory chips , checked loose wires. but still no luck. Any  one have a solid cure for this problem or is it ready for the the junk pile?

Student
Message 7 of 7 (5,272 Views)

I encountered the same problem. Have you found a solution? Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation