Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6510y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Installed an additional 2x4gb DDR3 memory sticks. Checking BIOS it sees and recognizes all 12 gb of memory. During operation it only uses 4gb of memory.  Specs say Windows 7 64 bit opertating system can support 16gb of memory. Am I missing something? Do I need to turn on something so it will use all 12gb of memory? Tried swapping memory from first memory slots with second memory slots. Still said 12gb of memory but only using 4gb.

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

@KWB2,

caution:

Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is on. Damage to the motherboard can result.

Clear the CMOS setting.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001, has made a good suggestion.  However, here is a guide that will help you further.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Tried the CMOS reset twice with no change, even took the battery out for 30 minutes.  Still no change. BIOS says Installed memory 12228 mb/pc3 - 10600.

Memory Bank 1  4096 mb DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Bank 2  4096 mb DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Bank 3  2048 mb DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Bank 4  2048 mb DDR3 SDRAM

BIOS Revision  6.05   07/02/10

In Control Panel (System and Security) says:

Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1  64 Bit Operating System

12 GB memory (3.24 GB usable)

HP Recommended

Please see my reply to Dean as a result of the CMOS Reset. The "guide" just runs in a circle for the version 6 or less. Anything you click on just brings you back to the first page.

HP Recommended

Will the Experts from HPEXPERTDAY review these posts?

HP Recommended

@KWB2,

Remove all memory.  Put a 2GB stick in the first slot.  Does it boot?

Remove all memory.  Put a 4GB stick in the first slot.  Does it boot? 

If not, those 4GB modules are not correct for your unit.

These are correct.   Check your original versus new.  You'll have to look up the new.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. I removed all memory and put a 2GB stick in slot 1 - It booted up. Removed 2GB and replaced it with a 4GB stick in slot 1 - It booted up. Removed 4 GB stick from slot 1 and put the other 4 GB stick in slot 3 - It booted up so both 4 GB sticks are working. While I was swapping out the memory I took a few minutes extra to check Control Panel to see how much memory I had. The 2 GB stick said 1.?? usable. Each 4 GB stick said 3.24 usable. Not sure if that was necessary but only took a few extra minutes. Could the problem be with the BIOS being version 6.05 07/02/10? It acts like there is a 32 bit system installed. That will only recognize 4 GB while the 64 bit system Home Premium is suposed to reecognize and use 16 GB.

HP Recommended

@KWB2,

I have asked another party to view this.

What does "system information", system type and installed memory.

What does  "resource monitor" list for RAM.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

What you are experiencing is as a result of mixing memory of different capacities and probably different manufacturers.

Memory modules that are installed should be identical in all respects unless you don't mind having "unexpected" results.

The smart way to upgrade is to remove the original memory modules. Install only memory from a manufacturer that guarantees their compatibility with your PC's motherboard. Only install memory modules in pairs. 12 GB of installed memory is not a viable configuration.

The 4GB modules on the following web page will work as expected the first time. They are guaranteed compatible with your desktop's motherboard. No ifs, ands or buts.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-p6510y

Trying to upgrade by matchng the published specifications is, as you found out, always a gamble.

HP  does sell desktop and notebook PC systems with mixed memory capacities installed, but all of the modules are from the same manufacturer. HP can do that with confidence, because in the QA labs the combination has been thoroughly bench tested to ensure that the combination works.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.