cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Pusherpilot Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavillion Slimline s3500f w/Disk Boot Failure (error BIOHD-8)

I have a problem with a Pavillion s3500f that won't boot.  The HD is a Seagate 500 GB Barracuda.  The BIOS is detecting the HD but it refuses to boot past the pulsating Windows logo at the bottom of the screen at startup.   In diagnostics it shows a BIOHD-8 failure code.  I'm convinced that it's toast. 

This computer belongs to a neighbor that I'm helping to try and get back on the road with her computer.  She did make a set of recovery disks after she got it.

The question is, can I just buy another 500GB drive and use the recovery disks to restore the OS?    If I can't get it to run that way can I use a systems builders pack version of Vista 64 bit OS that I have?

Thanks for your help!!

Ron

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
76,844 76,257 9,347 20,207
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the Recovery disc set first and using HDD at least 500Gb. And yes, if you still have the product key for Windows 7.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Highlighted
Provost Provost
Provost
24,345 20,806 2,366 7,914
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ron, welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can replace the hard drive with a drive that is the same size.  Here is a guide that will save you some frustration:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684708

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE motherboard; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation