Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (282 Views)

Pavillion d5200t memory upgrade

Hoping someone can give me some pointers with this.

So I have a Pavillion d5200t desktop with an Intel Core 2 Quad core Q9400 2.66ghz. running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OS . It currently has 4GB memory (4x1GB sticks).  1 in each of 4 memory slots.

I want to add memory and from the research I have doneit seems it takes DDR2 PC2-6400 memory.

Ultimately I want to upgrade it to 8GB which is supposed to be the max but initially I picked up two 2GB sticks.

They are Corsair XMS2 DDR2 

Product Description

2GB XMS Memory module for dual channel systems, 800MHz, 5-5-5-18, 1.8V

Key Features

• Guaranteed to work on all dual channel Intel and AMD platforms
  • XMS heat spreader
  • World famous Corsair reliability and performance

Package Contents

One 2GB memory module

System Requirements

Designed for use with all DDR2 motherboards with two memory channels

Well, I pulled one stick of the old memory from each channel and installed the two new XMS2 memory sticks and it did not work. When I looked at the setup on bootup, initially it confirmed the the 4GB of memory stating PC2-6400. After installing the new memory it showed the right amount of memory (6GB) but now it said PC2-5300?

and it would not boot up. It forced me to go to windows repair which woukd not load. Instead, that forced me to a blue screen which advises to restart and then it is stuck in that cycle.

I ended up re-installing the old memory, booting up to windows repair which then forced a restore which worked.

Now I need to know why is this memory not compatible and what should I be using? I have a different/older HP desktop and I was able to bascially just plaug and play with extra memory on that system so I assumed it would be the same here.

I really appreciate any info anyone can share.

Thanks,

novice PC dude

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (273 Views)

Re: Pavillion d5200t memory upgrade

Hi:

IMO, that memory is overkill for your PC.

But before I recommend alternatives.

I took a look at your motherboard.

You need to install your 2 GB memory chips in both of the blue slots and the other 2 original ones in the 2 black slots.

Did you do that?

Next...regarding the speed. Memory runs at the slowest speed of the slowest chip.

That means you have at least one PC2-5300 memory module in there and it is slowing down the whole shebang.

Since you plan on taking that to 8 GB anyway, for now it is no big deal.

So, if you did the above, and it doesn't work, just for grins, try putting the 2 new memory chips in the two black slots and the old ones in the 2 blue slots.

Still no good?

Here are the modules I recommend you get for your PC:

My first choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231203

2nd choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220279

Paul

Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (267 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

As far as this particular memory sticks, they may be overkill. It was not what I was originally going to get but they were out of the one I wanted at the electronics supply and recommended these.

Anyway, I tried the blue slots, didn't work.

Tried the black slots, didn't work.

So I will likely go with the ones you suggested. I will have to return the XMS2 ones I have and will see if they have something more appropriate.

I did try pulling all of the original 1GB sticks and loading onnly the two new 2GB sticks, 1 in each channel. It still didn't work but when I went into setup screen, it now read PC2-6400. Strange.

The 4 originals = PC2-6400, the 2 new ones alone = PC2-6400

Any combo of the new & old = PC2-5300

Also, I wanted to confirm.....with compatible memory it should just be plug & play, correct?

Thanks again!

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (260 Views)

You're very welcome.

That is bizarre.

But your PC works fine with just the original sticks and at PC2-6400, correct?

Yes, adding memory should be plug and play.

If it isn't then it can only be one of two things...

1. Incompatible memory for some reason.

2. One or both of the modules is defective.

I have only had one occasion in my life when I added memory and the PC wouldn't boot and that was because one stick of the two I bought was bad.

BTW, I have used both brands of that memory I posted in different desktop PC's with no problem at all.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation