Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Matt,

Try this list.  The search was painfully and woefully slow tonight.  HP might be doing maintenance or maybe a DOS attack is going on.

The later HP PCs with the version 5+ diagnostics have a firmware management function which might allow you to roll back a BIOS update. You can burn the diagnostics to either the HD and/or a USB flash drive. You might even want to do both. I don't know if this diagnostics would even install on your PC but someone once mentioned that you could build the USB flash on another PC. There is not a lot of information around on how to make this function work if you can since you might be trying to perhaps go with an unsupported? BIOS for your PC.  The later p6-2300 models use the Holly2 mobo and who knows maybe that BIOS would work.  It's a very risky situation.

Bricking a mobo might leave it in a state where only special tools will allow you to reflash the BIOS or worse case it becomes electronic salvage.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

HP was in deed running in turtle speed tonight.  I have gone through a list of over 50 PC's and found 12 that were made with the Holly Motherboard.  The Holly 2 is identical to the Holly 1 as far as i can tell.  I am interested in the HP Pavilion p6-2376.  That system set up, hardware wise, is nearly identical to mine.  The only difference is, is that it was shipped from the factory with Windows 8.1 preinstalled.   Is there anyway to find out what bios version it was shipped with?

HP Recommended

I downloaded the diagnostics tool.  This may seem like a stupid question.  How do I use it?

HP Recommended

Hi Matt,

The HP p6-23xx delivered with Windows 8.1 comes with a version 8 BIOS.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Is there anyway to get a copy of this BIOS?

HP Recommended

If i flash the bios with an HP bios update and the update fails, will the following procedure apply to my computer?

Certain HP computers manufactured in 2013 with Windows 8.
A BIOS recovery cannot be performed.

When attempting to recover a backup image of the BIOS by pressing the Windows key + B key at startup, nothing happens and the BIOS cannot be recovered. This happens because a backup BIOS image is not available from the Hard Disc Drive. Some HP computers manufactured in 2013 did not have a backup image available on the hard drive.

Note : If your computer BIOS has not been updated and currently cannot start into Windows and displays a BIOS corrupt or missing error, the computer must be serviced to restore the BIOS on the motherboard.
To gain the BIOS restore feature and create a backup BIOS image on the hard drive, download and install the most recent BIOS update from HP's Support Web Site . Doing so creates a BIOS backup image and enables you to restore the BIOS if needed. For more information about how to update your BIOS, see Updating the BIOS .

After updating the BIOS, in the event the computer displays an error indicating the BIOS is missing or corrupt, the BIOS can be restored by pressing the Windows key + B key while the computer off, and pressing the Power button to turn it on (while still pressing the Windows + B keys).
HP Recommended

Hi Matt,

The "operative" word is certain.  What you have posted is one way to recover the BIOS.

Some of the newer PC Desktops do have BIOS roll back functions via the Diagnostics menu/Firmware Management while many others don't. I suspect that your PC doesn't have that function and I don't know if it can be retrofitted to your PC.

HP uses DMI Type 11 info to establish the information that needs to be on the PC for the recovery media to work. Included in that data is a FeatureByte that tells the system what it is. That FeatureByte has a checksum - because it contains information that HP is obligated to keep locked down (software licensing etc.) and that information is not released to the public.

If you brick your motherboard then you might be left with this type of procedure or send the board in for servicing.

I have seen a post on this forum where an OP has claimed to have flashed a version 8 BIOS into a PC model where the version 8 BIOS was not posted. Lucky?

You are on thin ice to attempt to flash a BIOS that was not posted for your particular model. IS it possible? yes  Is it risky? yes

HP Recommended

Is it possible to compare one BIOS to the next?  I am running HOL_715.rom.  The newer BIOS is JAS_819.rom

I am going to make an assumption say that the HOL if the for Holly  in the holly motherboard and the JAS stands for Jasmine in the Jasmine motherboard. 

The HP Pavilion p6-2376 came with the AAHD-2 (Holly 2).  The system hardware and configuration is practically idenitical to mine.  It came with a verison 8 bios.   Is there anyway to get a copy of that BIOS?

HP Recommended

I have done some research.  Would it be possible to get a copy of the AMI BIOS version 8 for the Holly motherboard  as described in this HP link?  This would allow those of us who have upgraded to windows 8 enable additional windows functions such as secureboot.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03084248

HP Recommended

I've been looking for this forever. Called AMI, Pegatron [Which doesn't have a number anymore], and ended up finding out HP wanted $99 for a BIOS update to add UEFI options.

It'd be awesome if either of us ever get a BIOS update to send the other the update, but from what it seems, I'll just have to buy a new motherboard.

Edit; Found your JAS BIOS here. Should we attempt to flash this? Since it is the same motherboard. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&softwareitem=cp-134631-1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.