cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
orbxfan
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 26
Flag Post

Pegatron IPMTB-TK motherboard - is this still a problem?

HP Recommended

HI folks,  I already ordered an HP with this motherboard installed and later noticed many serious problems noted in various forums and internet sites, concerning freezeups and other problems  with HP computers using ths motherboard. 

Some examples below:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/hordes-of-owners-complain-of-problems-with-hp-elite-pavilion-pcs-...

http://www.techspot.com/news/36410-hp-peddling-faulty-core-i7-desktops.html

Does anyone know what has been done about these problems?

Are people still having problems with HP computers using these motherboards?

The reports I've read are very troubling to someone who has ordered a computer with the same motherboard!

I've owned an HP desktop for 5 years and it has been 100% reliable - It's hard to understand just what has happened with the motherboard in question.   I'm looking for some good information from HP concernning this issue.   Once again,  I've been extremely happy with my current HP desktop, but now I'm concerned about the one I recentl;y ordered.

Thank you in advance for your input.   Howard

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,810 5,049
Message 2 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Howard,

Some of the earlier IPMTB-TK truckee motherboards had issues and some didn't.  I purchased my e9280t in12/2010.  My PC has the IPMTB-TK truckee motherboard and it has been solid.  The revision level of my motherboard is 1.04E01.

The newer HPE 580 and 590 PCs use this motherboard.

What model HP PC did you order?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
orbxfan
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Dave for your prompt reply...

I ordered the HPE 580T.

Do you know what caused the problem in those affected pc s?    I'd feel a lot happier if I knew what was done to correct it.

Thanks  Howard

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 4 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Howard,

The issues may have been a number of things depending on the problem.  Some issues might have related to a back level bios, some related to a video driver issue (sleep and hibernation) and since the motherboard was released at different revision levels and replaced during the warranty that might indicate that some motherboards had issues.

I suspect there might have been some users that delayed reporting the issues to HP support when the PC was still under warranty or would rather not send the PC back in for repair.

I typically urge users with these types of problems to get to HP Support during the warranty period and get help.  There is only so much that we volunteers out here can do.

Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
orbxfan
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Dave, your answer sounds plausable, but I'm still concerned about the HP response as indicated in the 2 articles I cited.   I wonder what the situation is now for those who had the problem back in 2009?  Also I wonder how well those motherboards have help up since the pc s were purchased? 

Appreciate your help - have a good day.    Howard

0 Kudos
Curmudgeon2
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Being the highly disgruntled owner of an HPE-390t, I have to say that HP still has a problem.  The 390t was purchased Sept 2010 directly from HP.

First problem surfaced within the first week.  BSOD with corrupted OS files.  Rebuilt the C; drive and one month later corrupted OS files again.  Rebuilt third time and then sent in for repair.

HP replaced the harddrive.  Within a couple of weeks, some applications started acting strange.  Account passwords disappeared.  Sent back to HP, they re-installed the recovery partition stating it was corrupted.  How about that!  Brilliant.  Wonder how it got corrupted.  Called the Case Manager and recieved a quite a bit of abuse.  Was told I had "Installed a Third Party Video Card"  Asserted this was why the harddrive was corrupted.  Stated that the PC had "Integrated Video capability built into the motherboard".  Are you kidding me?

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-390t PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-970 six-core [3.2GHz, 1.5MB L2 + 12MB shared L3 cache]
• 12GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [6 DIMMs]
• 300GB 10K rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• 1.8GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 260 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]

So, I would not recommend doing business with HP.  I've purchased almost $4000 of their product in the last six months, you can bet that is the last $ they get from me.

I still have $2000 piece of junk which doesn't work properly and HP clearly doesn't care!

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
Message 7 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Curmudgeon2,

I don't see the video card as being a cause for your hard drive corruption. Is the NVIDIA GTX 260 the third party card that came with the PC or did you have a differnet video card when you were experiencing the issues?

I see that you are using a 10K sata hard drive. You might try the hard drive manufacturer's web site and see if there is a firmware update available.  Also, try the Intel site and see if there is a sata controller update available.

0 Kudos
Jagtiger
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am in the same boat, my  Pegatron IPMTB-TK motherboard is junk, that HP sold me  also, HP Pavilion Elite m9600t CTO Desktop PC has been replaced  twice, so has the memory and a new card and it still does the same. I finally gave up because every time you c all the support guys . they start all over.  so if you look at all the forums that are listed about this  mother board why does HP not recall the board and get them one that works.. I gave up on tech suport and e-mail suppourt  thopught I would try here thinking someon would give the consumer a fix. but now my machine is out of warrantee and the hard drive is not dropping out and memory slots now being seen.  and yes I have updated the bio, bios chip, mother board drivers, 

If it is a known issue again why dont they recall the boards. if you hvae a solution I would really like to hear it.

what makes matters worst that I am a HP employee.

0 Kudos
TC8080
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this motherboard, too. It's also a problem.  Beeping after start-up with memory and timing issues.  Service told me to reseat all the components in the system (and I'm still under warranty). I tried to extend my warranty, but guess what. HP  stopped selling extended warranties to people under an existing warranty.  Frustrating....

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
notae
3 3 0 0
Message 10 of 26
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have this motherboard in my HP Pavilion Elite e9180t and started having problems(lock ups, BSOD, Hard Drive failure messages) 2 months after I purchased the PC new.  After many hours of being on the line with HP support, reformatting the HDDs twice, reseating hardware, and more, HP accepted my request to get my PC serviced. I got my PC back after two or so weeks with a note telling me the Mother Board was at fault and had been replaced. Guess what, with the same motherboard :smileysad:. A few months go by and everything was been fine until one day- The problem returns!  Now there is no way I am going through the entire HP Support process again. I payed over $2,200 on this system and it just sucks for it to have been a waste. I am going to scrap this board and get one that's reliable. A lot of time and resources wasted because of this problem.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation