Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello. I've installed recently in my Probook4540 two Kingston memory modules  (2x8gb ddr3 1600 CL10 240 pin). Ever since I did this, Windows 8 takes much longer to boot and performance has significantly dropped. But, if I only place one of the two modules, or the original 4GB module, Windows runs at normal speed.

I think it's a BIOS problem, as I've just seen this very same error in other brand's laptops, for example here
http://superuser.com/questions/379970/laptop-is-incredibly-slow-after-ram-upgrade

I've got the latest available BIOS version installed (F31 26-SEP-2012).

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In case anyone is still interested in this topic:

This is a workaround that worked for me.

It is not an official or supported solution.

I have used the laptop extensively in described configuration and did not have issues that i can relate to memory configuration.

Deducing 256 MB RAM from memory available to OS might eliminate the problem for some CPUs.

The solution works on:
- HP 4540s

- i5-2450M

- AMD/Intel switchable graphics

- 16 GB RAM

- Bios F.42

It might work for other CPUs.

Under Windows you should deduce 256 MB RAM, by using EasyBCD or similar tool.

Instructions for EasyBCD:

Under Advanced Settings/Developer set 256 under "MiB deducted from physical memory", save settings and restart.

Under Linux, set "mem=17G" in kernel boot parameters (effectively deduces 256 MB).

Edit:

Under Windows 7 and later, you may also use the following instead of EasyBCD:

bcdedit /set {current} removememory 256

(Execute the command in command prompt with administrative privileges and reboot).

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
HP Recommended
Your notebook is an Enterprise/Business model. I would recommend posting this in the HP Enterprise Support Forums for better coverage, as this is the consumer support forums.

You can access the enterprise support forums at the following link.

http://goo.gl/LsnuK
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I write this response just in case someone encounters the same problem. This computer does not support 16GB of RAM, despite in the website it says it does. As there is no solution to this problem, I'm getting a new laptop instead. Thank you for your reply.

HP Recommended
I have same problem on HP ProBook 4730s. In specification Intel Core i5-2340M maximum memory capacity supported is 16Gb (http://ark.intel.com/products/53450/Intel-Core-i5-2430M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz). Why HP notebooks is not work with 16Gb it's mistery for me.
HP Recommended
Guys,

Same exact issue! I spent 2 days on this... I knew something was seriously wrong because I upgraded the laptop with a SSD and was getting boot up time over 40 seconds instead of 8 seconds. Same thing though, if I drop the configuration under 8GB, then all is well. Now here is an interesting thing: I have purchased over 10 4540s with an i3. If I install the 16GB in any of them, no issues. But in the one I just got custom made with HP with an i7, then I have this same issues you guys had. Bios version is same on all of them, F31. I think this should be an easy fix via bios update. I will call HP business tomorrow. I was thinking putting 2 x 8GB 1333Mhz instead of 1600Mhz. Do you guys think it would/could work around the issue?

Either way, some of them work with the 16GB of ram, and some don't. I can tell you the motherboards look different between the one with an i7 and the one with an i3.
HP Recommended

Same Issue

Was happy to buy a probook 4540s with 16GB ram. :OpenSmile:

Thought i woud be going at mach 7

instead its worse than a bullock cart.:smileyfrustrated:

I guess the solution meantime is to remove 8GB of ram till hp issues a proper BIOS update.

Hey HP are u listening.

I wish i could sue you, you wasted lot of our time and caused so much disappointment.

HP Recommended

I actually started a case under their Business division. I first received the generic/automated response from HP saying that the laptop can only take 8GB of RAM max. They actually sent me a link to an official HP 4540s specs and it actually shows 8GB max. BUT, I never saw that PDF but used the one linked on their shopping site under business section and it shows maximum of 16GB of RAM. I explained all of this to a supervisor and they decided to escalate the issue to Level 2. I'm still waiting for a final decision. I'm worried they are going to try to replace the motherboard. I truly believe this is a BIOS update issue. Like I said the 4540s i3 we have can take the 16GB of RAM with no performance decrease. Only the i7 one is slowing down to a crawl. No error messages anywhere.

HP Recommended

My processor was an i5, in case anyone's interested, so:

i3 - 16GB - OK

i5 - 16GB - BAD

i7 - 16GB - BAD

I wonder why it works OK in the i3 and not on the other two. Maybe it's a different motherboard model also?

I ended up buying other laptop in the end. It seems it was a good idea as the issue has not been solved yet by HP.

HP Recommended

@gallarr wrote:

My processor was an i5, in case anyone's interested, so:

i3 - 16GB - OK

i5 - 16GB - BAD

i7 - 16GB - BAD

I wonder why it works OK in the i3 and not on the other two. Maybe it's a different motherboard model also?

I ended up buying other laptop in the end. It seems it was a good idea as the issue has not been solved yet by HP.

Have same issue (with i5-3210m, laptop model# C4Z09EA). I have installed two banks of Kingston 8 GB SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 MHz (KTH-X3C/8G), after that Win 7 loads extremely slow. I spent a week, trying to figure out the problem. Also Windows experience index assessment constantly crashes (freezes) on Windows Media Decoding test with error: "Could not examine video playback".

Tell please, what other laptop did you buy?

HP Recommended

@lmorel wrote:

I actually started a case under their Business division. I first received the generic/automated response from HP saying that the laptop can only take 8GB of RAM max. They actually sent me a link to an official HP 4540s specs and it actually shows 8GB max. BUT, I never saw that PDF but used the one linked on their shopping site under business section and it shows maximum of 16GB of RAM. I explained all of this to a supervisor and they decided to escalate the issue to Level 2. I'm still waiting for a final decision. I'm worried they are going to try to replace the motherboard. I truly believe this is a BIOS update issue. Like I said the 4540s i3 we have can take the 16GB of RAM with no performance decrease. Only the i7 one is slowing down to a crawl. No error messages anywhere.

Is there any news from their Bussiness division?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.