Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an HP Probook 4540s with Intel Core 15 2450M and serial C6Z91UT and integrated Intel graphics. I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade this laptop to 16GB RAM, and which frequencies will work? Can the Probook support 1600Mhz? I read in the spec that the supported frequency is 1333Mhz so I'm confused about this. And, on another note, can the Probook 4540s support 1TB hard drives? The spec specified the limit as 750GB but I don't trust everything I read. And again (sorry for the long-winded message!) does the laptop support SATA3 (6Gb/s)? The spec, again said the laptop supports SATAII at best but the BIOS seems to imply it supports up to SATA3.

Thanks for your time!

HP Recommended

I have an HP Probook 4540s with an I7 CPU and twice tried to upgrade the memory from 8gb to 16gb and both times it slowed the computer to a crawl.  This time I tried the BCDEDIT suggestion and it worked perfect !  The computer reboots faster than ever and everything works as I had hoped.  I'm not a power user per se ---- usually just Firefox and Excel opened at the same time along with Light-O-Rama when doing light show stuff --- Thanks for the help on this problem !!

HP Recommended

Thanks for this, I just upgraded my 4740s to 16GB and the CPU started churning (killing a few processes helped) had some strange graphics issues and  my external j5create stopped working, tesing it on another machine where it worked, I thought it was Address space related, and deallowcating 256MB of the 16GB to take it from 15.9 usable to 15.6 usable fixed all the issues. Shame the OS isn't clever enough to figure this out. (Windows 7)

HP Recommended

Wow! I upgraded my 4540s (i7 8mb) with a 500gb SSD and 16gb ram. (2x8gb)  I powered it up and it was slower than ever! After doing all of the updates I could think of and playing with every setting I could think of I was about to get rid of my laptop and move on. ...until I stumbled on this thread! After following the instructions here my old laptop is super fast and I'm a very happy camper! THANK YOU!!!!!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.