Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I keep getting an error message that tells me that 'Scan to computer is no longer active' and that I   must 'scan activation app'  despite the printer printing wirelessly with no problems. I do not need to scan.

I have installed HP drivers.

I am using 64bit Windows 10 pro.

can anyone advise how to turn this message off or fix the issue?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @NeilC123, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you are getting error Scan to computer is no longer active on your printer.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Go to printer assistant on your PC-under scanner options- Manage scan to PC- Enable it.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Open Task Manager, go to Startup tab, scroll down to "ScanToPCActivationApp”, expand by double clicking on "ScanToPCActivationApp” or click expansion arrow on left. Right click first entry, choose “Properties”, click on “Compatibility” tab, under “Compatibility Mode”…select “Run the program in compatibility mode for:”, then choose “Windows 7” in the drop-down menu. Do this for each of the entries you see for “ScanToPCActivationApp”…even those as “HPNetworkCommunicator”.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried both of those solutions but I am still getting the message regularly. Should I uninstall the HP photosmart programme?

HP Recommended

@NeilC123, It's great to hear from you again, I was indeed waiting for your response.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned even after trying out the steps the issue still persists.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Recommend you to setup a static IP address to your printer and check if it resolves the issue. Follow the steps below.
Obtain the IP address of the printer (which can found by pressing the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel)
Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page.
Go to the “Network” tab, click on “Wireless (802.11) then click on “Network address (IPV4)
Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Refer the printer user guide for more information.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Windows key > (lower left corner) Settings > Personalization (Background, lock screen, colors >
TaskBar > Scroll down to Notification Area > Select which icons appear on the taskbar >
To Allow changes to the list >> Set OFF  Always show all icons in the notification area
Scroll down > Switch OFF ScanToPCActivationApp >
If desired, Set ON   Always show all icons in the notification area.

Let me know if this works!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.