Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HPE h8-1150z CTO
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HELPPPPPPPPPP... I'm SO sorry, this is a long post...

My AMD 6670 graphics card died on my 4 year old HP - the motherboard is a M3970AM-HP (Angelica2), my PC - HP Pavilion Elite h8-1150z CTO... 460watt PSU...

I had an old GeForce 8500 GT in another PC, so I installed that one & got the computer to work for a couple weeks, after that I started getting the dreaded "Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 342.01 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." It was doing it every half hour or so, then in the past several days it became literally every 2 seconds, then it started the BSOD, & cycling, not starting at all & after that I could only get it to boot in safe mode...

So assuming I needed to buy a new graphics card & not being very hardware savvy (I THOUGHT I had done a good job researching what WOULD work in my system) I purchased the new EVGA GTX 1050 TI SC, I installed it this past weekend & now my PC's stuck at "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu" blue HP screen, it will not start, & if I hit the ESC key it brings me to a black screen with white text listing some specs & something about BIOS & if I hit the esc key in that window it just adds another white text line - "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu"...

I've been reading that maybe updating a BIOS would fix it, so this morning I found & updated the BIOS, well it still will not start with the EVGA GTX 1050 TI, BUT I tried putting the old GeForce 8500 GT back in, now it turns on again & I'm not getting the "display driver" error, or the recycling & I've had the PC on & running for several hours now... ???

So I don't know what to do now...

1. Should I just get refunded for the new card & forget it since the PC's not getting the error's (odd, did the BIOS update fix the old GeForce 8500 GT issue).
2. Or can I get that new 1050 TI card to work.
3. Or can someone from HP/whomever please give me a list of decent 150$ or less GPU's that WILL work for sure...

This whole experience has been beyond stressful for me & I'm at a loss as to what I should do now, & I only have about 2 weeks to send the new card back to newegg for a RMA if it's not compatible... :'(

I hope someone can help me please...

96F4.jpg

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Help, Please... :Crying:

HP Recommended

:Crying: I spoke too soon, doesn't look like #1 is my answer since I did get another display error last night... :Crying:

HP Recommended

Anyone??? Please, help? :Crying:

HP Recommended

Anyone, HELP PLEASE...

I've been researching HARD & the best option I think for me may be this card here, but without help it's gonna be another shot in the dark... :Crying:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150780

HP Recommended

Hi @LizzieBorden,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! 🙂 It is a terrific place to find answers and tips and to get the best from the community.

I read your post about graphic card upgrades for your PC. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here. :)Stupendous diagnosis and great analysis of the situation. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. It has been an absolute pleasure to work with you. 🙂

• I reviewed both the computer’s product specifications and the user manual. On paper, the XFX Radeon RX 460 True OC DirectX 12 RX-460P2SFG5 2GB card looks like being supported.

• However, You need to check the power supply of the unit before buying the card as your computer is a customized one and I do not have the power supply specifications for it.

• Please note that HP does not recommend upgrading either the operating system or the computer’s hardware as the components that were initially installed with the unit are certified by HP for optimal performance.

• However, as you are very technically inclined, I would still request you to consult a local technician like Best Buy or Staples before proceeding to upgrade the unit.

• You may need to change the power supply also if the graphics card power requirements are higher than your existing power supply. Please check the power supply connectors also.

Product specifications of the unit: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-Desktop-PC-series/5146418/model/5155346/docum...

review and specs of the graphics card: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-460-4gb-graphics-card-review_185034

Remember, it requires a six pin power connector. Please do not click on any ad, link, image, popup or download on this link as it is a third party link and that is meant for viewing information only.

When you buy a graphics card a lot of factors come into play.

1. The form factor of the card and the expansion slot involved on the motherboard to house the card.
  2. The power supply for the card should be good enough to power the card.
  3. The power connectors of the power supply should be compatible with the graphics card.
  4. The PCI-E slot involved for housing the card.

The product specifications give information on the supported list of cards also.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello David & thank you SO much for responding, to answer your question about the power supply, it's the 460w, (it's listed in my original post, you must have missed it) the card claims to only need 75w, but recommends a 400w PSU, it does require a 6pin connector & from what I can find my PSU does have that 6 pin?! (I'll link the PSU info I found below) I am aware this is a custom build, as I'm the one who chose all the hardware/software configurations myself, it was a Christmas gift to myself that I saved up for 2 years just to purchase it! :Wink:

I understand I shouldn't be customizing it further, BUT since the graphics card that came with the PC died, (AMD HD 6670) I have NO choice but to get a new one, as the mobo on the PC has NO onboard graphics, it's either a new GPU or no PC! :Crying:

From everything I'm finding in my researches, that XFX RX 460 should work, but I wanted to be sure... Unfortunetly I couldn't wait any longer as I've not had my PC since 1/02/2017, & I'm a graphics artist & haven't been able to work since then & I really need to get back to work...

So with my *fingers crossed (as I'm already out almost 30$ just for restocking fees/shipping for the incomaptible GPU I had to send back)... :'( I went ahead & ordered the XFX RX 460... https://www.amazon.com/XFX-RX-460P2SFG5-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Express/dp/B01JGQU8WI?psc=1&Subscript...

I know there are newer & maybe better cards, but I don't believe they would work in my system & I'd be in the same boat, I found a website that had a list of 'compatible' GPU's for the Angelica2 mobo here... http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/HP/HP_M3970AM-HP_(Angelica2)/2042/Compatible_GPUs

Here's the website I found for the PSU as well... http://www.barebonekit.net/hp-envy-700-633187-002-460w-power-supply_i_pshp460w6331872.aspx ...which says it has the '6 pin connector' for PCI-E...

Specifications:

Power Supply Type: ATX
Wattage: 460 Watts
AC Input: 100-240V-8A 50-60Hz
DC Output: +12Va(15A) +12Vb(18A) +12Vc(10A) +5.08V(15A) +3.3V(14A) +5.08Vsb(2A) -12V(0.3A)
Connector(s):
x1 24-Pin ATX Motherboard Power Connector
x6 Serial ATA (SATA) Connector
x1 4-Pin ATX +12V Power Connector
x1 6-Pin PCI-E Power Connector

So I'm PRAYING I made the right decision & this RX 460 WILL work in my system, I went to turn the PC on today & it won't turn on again except in safe mode... :Crying:

I hope this info helps someone else though!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
I'm really not having fun anymore! :Crying:

HP Recommended

Hi @LizzieBorden,

Thanks for the super quick response. I am super impressed by your technical competence, deductions and investigations in this regard that could even turn a certain Sherlock Holmes green with envy. 🙂

Going by the specs that you've mentioned yes this card should work. The power input required is 400 W. Which translates to the fact that the power supply should be 400W. TH power output of the card is 75 watts while playing high-end games and using a lot of graphics. (power efficiency of the card)

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you in this regard, by keeping your best interest in mind. This card should do the trick for you.  As I am not by the computer, I would request you to take a second opinion from a local Best Buy r staples technician.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So I just wanted to leave an update for anyone reading this, I apologize for another long post...

At this point I'm feeling truly HOPELESS... :Crying:

I was advised by a 'tech' at newegg, & the website I linked above http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/HP/HP_M3970AM-HP_(Angelica2)/2042/Compatible_GPUs (which is obviously wrong too), as well as semi-confirmed by David from HP here in this thread that the RX 460 'should' work on my hal...

So I got Amazon to send me the 460 overnighted, got it Friday & my nightmare continued, at least the 1050TI got to the blue hp screen (press ESC), this 460 won't even send a signal... I turn on my monitor, it 'scans' thru, says no signal & shuts down, nothing but black screen, the fan spins on the card, & there's a red light on the card where the 6 pin goes that comes on & when you plug in the 6 pin the light turns blue, but nothing but blackness... I put the original (broken 6670) in, now it doesn't work AT ALL either, I put the geforce 8500 back in it won't turn on except in safe mode, so now my hal (PC) is stuck in safe mode or nothing, I REALLY don't know what the heck I'm gonna do... :Crying:

I've done nothing but cry & cry since Friday, I have NOBODY to help me, I know more about computers than anyone else I know in person... I've read & READ for weeks now, but since this was a semi custom build & it turned 5 years old this month, there's like ZERO info or help out there! :Crying:

I could try bestbuy but I KNOW they'll want money just to 'advise' me, they're greedy jerks (I'm already out at least 50$ if I have to RMA this card too) :Crying: & I highly doubt they'd be anything but clueless anyways... Everyone's an 'expert' yet nobody ever knows anything, if I can't find the answers myself then it's 'oh well, too bad, so sad'... :Crying: :Crying: :Crying:

I've done EVERYTHING I've found online to 'make it work'... updated BIOS, preinstalled the drivers, pulled the CMOS battery out for over half an hour, cleared the CMOS, taken out all RAM, (my hal has 2 4g sticks & 1 2g stick, & room for one more, it can handle up to 16g) cleaned the sticks, tried each RAM one stick at a time in each of the 4 slots, cleaned it inside with canned air, etc, etc, NOTHING works... :Crying: & If the issue was the PSU it wouldn't run in safe mode with the Nvidia nor would the fans spin? IDKKKKKKKKKK... :Crying:

I'm REALLY at a loss, I feel like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown right now, I TRULY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK TO DO... :Crying: I just REALLY GIVE UP!!! :Crying: :Crying: :Crying:

Can ANYONE help me PLEASE??? :Crying:

HP Recommended

Hi @LizzieBorden,

I reviewed the post. comprehensively. I understand that the graphics card does not work. It may be a faulty card although brand new or might have compatibility issues. As I am not by the computer, is the reason why I referred you to a local technician as the card on paper looked like it should work.

I hope things work great and the issue gets resolved. Please contact any local technician in this regard. Try to return the card to Amazon if that is possible.

Take care and have a blessed weekend. 

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.