Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Cimbom Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Poor headphone quality on HP 6005 Pro SFF

HP Compaq 6005 Pro SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi guys,

I recently got a new pc. the HP Compaq 6005 Pro Small Form Factor PC. What I've realized is that the headphone quality is rather poor when I listen to music or watch videos. The same headphone sounds great on my previous laptop. The model of this laptop was:  HP dv7 2250ed. I don't know much about computers or laptops, but could it be because of the soundcard? Could the soundcard in my HP laptop be much better, which makes the quality better?

If so, what could I do to improve the quality (an amplifier maybe?)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
103988 94540 14548 22349
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The  HP Compaq 6005 Pro Small Form Factor PC is about 6 years old.

So, that means that while it is new to you, you purchased a used or refurbished model.

If the operating system was reinstalled, perhaps the reburbisher did not install the audio drivers, since W7 automatically installs a generic audio driver which provides basic audio functionality.

The first thing I recommend you do is to install the latest Realtek HD audio driver directly from Realtek, and see if that helps.  That driver will have some audio enhancements you can tweak, such as virtual surround and an equalizer.

Accept the agreement.  Download and install the 2nd driver on the list.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownT...

Your notebook definitely has a different model audio chip (IDT), and that may be one reason for the difference, but I think Realtek makes a pretty good basic audio chip.

If you are still not happy with the sound after installing the updated driver, I recommend you install an audio card of your choosing that will fit in the sff chassis.

0 Kudos
Cimbom Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Indeed, it is refurbished.

I forgot to mention that Realtek is already installed. Will it be cheaper to buy an amplifier or an audio card to enhance the quality?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103988 94540 14548 22349
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that I would not know.

0 Kudos
Cimbom Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay! thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
103988 94540 14548 22349
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation