cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
STSLivealoha
5 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Possible Corrupt Bios

HP Recommended
HP Envy 23-d160qd AIO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 23 AIO will not post.  System died while doing the latest update for Windows 10.  No beep, no output from display, no USB.

System does power on, fan spins, but nothing else.  Ram  passed memory test (tested on another machine).  Doing some research, i found people that have manually flashed the Bios with a Rasberry PI since they had no USB keyboard/mouse. 

However, I tried using a 2GB Ram stick and upon turning it on, it does recognize the USB (keyboard numlock lights up) and i get the bios error code 6 long beeps along with the red/organge power light.  Still no output on the video. 

I have downloaded the Bios SP70474, but there is no option to create a USB Bootable to flash the bios.

I also attempted to utilize the bios reset/recovery procedure, hitting f10 right after start up for 5 seconds, followed by F5 ...etc, etc...and it did not work.  Just to be complete, i already reset the CMOS .

Is there a procurede to reflash the bios similar to a laptop.  Will the Windows logo key + B + Power button work? 

thanks for taking a look and hopefully point me in the right direction...

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,343
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @STSLivealoha,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. As I understand the computer is powering on, however, doesn't have a display on the screen anymore,

First off, Hats off to you for a job well done as you have tried the basic troubleshooting steps and checked settings on the unit, before posting the query in the HP forums. It is amazing to see how technically competent you are. It is always a privilege to work with tech-savvy customers like you.

Please attempt the below steps:

Perform a hard reset (Remove all cables from the AIO, hold the power button in for 30 seconds, reconnect the cables and restart the PC)

Attempt a Bios Recovery

If the issue persists, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. If your product is Out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
STSLivealoha
Author
5 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mahalo for your respone, i appreciate you taking the time..

I attempted your suggestions but no change.   I also had previously attempted the bios recovery but i am assuming that it looks for the bios file on the hard drive?  The original drive was replace (died) so i do not believe the bios file is on the current drive, unless the back up is done automatically..?

That is why i was hoping (similar to a typical desktop) by creating a bootable USB Flash drive with the correct bios flash software and the bios file itself, i could re-flash the bios?  Is this possible with this model? 

As i already mentioned previously, i downladed the latest bios update but it had no provision to utilize a USB Flash drive.

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,612 3,967
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@STSLivealoha

It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I'm afraid Bios recovery using the key combinations is the only way to recover the PC in your situation and to clarify, the data to restore BIOS is stored in the ROM, not the HDD
Hence replacement of the drive makes no difference to this process, That said, there's no other way of recovery using the USB flash drive either.

I hope that answers all you queries,

If you wish to set up a repair to get the issue fixed, I'm going to go one step forward to help you and I would request you to send me a private message with your product & serial number.

(Please ensure you "do not" share any personal or confidential information such as serial/phone number, shipping address, email ID, etc... on a public post).

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation