Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Eddie34 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Power Issue

HP Desktop Model A6542
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
I purchased a HP Desktop model A6541 in December 2008 which came pre loaded with Window Vista.
As soon as Windows 7 was released I upgraded to that trouble free.
Since then apart from replacing a video card a couple of years ago the computer has more or less run trouble free

In December 2015 I upgraded to Windows 10 – the actual upgrade was trouble free but I did have an number of minor issues in the following weeks which I have resolved as I went along.

The main major issue that I have since upgrading to Windows 10 is relating to Power but am not convinced it is a software issue.

This issue started towards the end of January/early February
I shut the PC down at night having run the normal Norton antivirus  & CCleaner scans.
The following day the PC won't turn on so I change the mains lead and the PC turns on. Before I insert the spare mains lead I hold the on off button for a short period
I insert the spare mains lead and the computer turns on and boots up.The green light at the rear of the computer remains on

The same thing happens every day I shut the PC down and start it up again so in effect he same spare mans lead is used on alternate days

I have tried searching the Internet for a resolution but so far have not find anything to resolve the issue

As far as I am aware all the drivers are up to date – they are monitored by Driver Support

I have run the power troubleshooter but that did not resovle the issue

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Regards

Eddie34
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
15884 15828 1474 3523
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Power Issue

Eddie34

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

My guess, from your description, is that the power supply unit (PSU) is dying -- which would not be unusual for an 8-year old PC that has been used regularly.

I had a similar situation in a 2005-era HP Media Center desktop -- and replacing the PSU brought it back to life.  Not bad for a $50 equipment purchase!

Unfortunately, we have no links for testing a PSU and in that case, your only recourse is to take the PC into an HP Service Center and have them look at it -- which, since it is out of warranty, will likely cost you a LOT more than simply replacing the PSU.

Here is a link with information on HP Service Centers: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004

Sorry, but this is just a community forum staffed by volunteers and we have no way of troubleshooting or repairing your PC from here. All we can do here is provide links to troubleshooting steps that HP has written, and links to HP drivers.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Eddie34 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Power Issue

Thanks for the advice.

Do you know how I order replacement PSU from HP or the specification I need?

Eddie34

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation