Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 510 p136
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I want to upgrade the power supply for my HP 510 p136.  What power supply can I buy?  Two issues arose when I tried to buy one. First, the screw configuration on the front is not standard and second, the connector for the optical drive is non-standard.  This connecter seems to be HP only and there is no adapter for it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@txchipper

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you need information on upgrading the Power supply upgrade,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you purchase the PSU from HP authorized sites or was it a local retailer?

If you haven't purchased it from an HP Authorized site, try the HP Parts surfer to find the part and order it on the HP Parts store.

Is there any specific reason you want to upgrade the PSU? does it have to do with a graphics card upgrade?

I personally, recommend you take the computer to the local store in person and have them check the best fit for your product,

That would save a lot of your time and help you get the right parts to upgrade the PSU.

(Considering, HP doesn't support upgrading or downgrading of products and that should explain why we don't have all the parts you may need to complete your upgrade).

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply but it did not provide any help.  I would like to install a new graphics card and the minmum requirement for the card is a 300W power supply.  I went to an established retailer in computer parts and was told that the problem is the connector that HP uses for the optical drive and the screw configuration on the front.  I can get past the screw configuration but the connector for the optical drive has no work around.  It seems that it is an HP proprietary connector.  It is not molex or any other regular connector.  There is not an adapter to convert.  Thus the problem.

HP Recommended

@txchipper

Thank you for replying 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand your concern and that's exactly why I had hoped you would understand that "HP doesn't recommend or support upgrading or downgrading of products and that should explain why we don't have all the parts you may need to complete your upgrade" as mentioned before,

That said, I will make an honest attempt to help you out, if perhaps you could attach a snap of this connector you are talking about and once we identify the cables for you,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.