Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have my laptop for approximately two years and now I am getting a message about the Primary (internal) battery 601 needs to be replaced since it is detecting the storge capacity to be low.  I believe this is the inside battery but how do I determine if the battery is dead?  What prodecure do I use to correct this matter?  I am going to college online.  Would this cause a problem fo rthe storage?  I have to download my books for the virtual classroom.  Any advice would be helpful!

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

HI,

@CC58 wrote:

I have my laptop for approximately two years and now I am getting a message about the Primary (internal) battery 601 needs to be replaced since it is detecting the storge capacity to be low.  I believe this is the inside battery but how do I determine if the battery is dead?  What prodecure do I use to correct this matter?  I am going to college online.  Would this cause a problem fo rthe storage?  I have to download my books for the virtual classroom.  Any advice would be helpful!

When you are downloading the books remove the battery and have only the external power adapter connected for now.

It really would have helped if you had identified your notebook and stated which operating system is installed. I can't find info specific to your notebook if I don't know what iti is.

look at the barcoded sticker on the bottom of the notebook and post everything that is there except the serial number.

You need to check the battery status and also to calibrate the battery. All I can supply is generic information from a randomly chosen notebook series. Smiley Wink

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi,

my notebook showed the same message about its internal baterry (601). What am I supposed to do? I bought my notebook in US, but I live in Brazil (and it seems problematic for HP sometimes). I would be glad to hear you. Please, check the information about my notebook:

- Notebook model: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC

- Product number: NV085UA#ABA

- System board ID: 3627

- Processor type: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU T6500

- Processor speed: 2.10 GHz

- Total memory: 4096 MB

- Serial number: CNF934...

Regards from Brazil, P.

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion dv6-1107AX and it is giving me the same message after about 2.5 years of ownership and not that heavey use 

HP Recommended

What is the installed operating system?

There is no BIOS update that addresses this as a possible issue. I suggest that you read my earlier post and try the Battery check and the calibration. If nothing positive comes of those attempts, replace the battery before it causes further issues and a no start scenario.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Hi Bystander1,
I recommend that you follow the same advice that I gave to paulo-correia. 2.5 years out of a main battery isn't that bad.

HP Recommended

Change the internal battery  😉 

internalbattery.jpg

HP Recommended

Enrico

I am talikng about the internal battery and not the external battery that cilps on the rear

the interbnal battery is a coin size battery that fits inside the computer

HP Recommended
@bystander1
If you are getting the same error message as the OP, then you want to change out the main battery that powers the notebook...not the CMOS battery. The internal battery is the main battery and an external battery is a secondary battery that attaches to the outside of the laptop, usually covering the bottom. Most notebooks don't have an external battery, and I've only seen a few models that even use them.

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
HP Recommended

@bystander1 wrote:

Enrico

I am talikng about the internal battery and not the external battery that cilps on the rear

the interbnal battery is a coin size battery that fits inside the computer

Actually what you thought was the internal battery is called the RTC (Real time clock) battery and it also serves as power for the BIOS chip. Its function is to enable retention of the BIOS settings (including date/time).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.