Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
alaw Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problem applying Windows 10 Anniversary Update

ENVY 700-215xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When applying the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, I encountered the error “We couldn’t update system reserved partition”.

After researching for a solution, most I came across requires me to extend the system reserved partition, which is set to 100MB, to around 400MB. However, I tried different disk partition management solution and none seems to be able to extend this particular partition. I have freed up space adajent to the SRP so space should not be a problem.

What should I do?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
14031 1326 3146
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

alaw

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I ran into exactly the same problems trying to upgrade my HP DV6 to Win10 -- and what I used was this tool:  http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

You have to BOOT from it in order to be able to resize the System Reserved partition.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
alaw Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your pointers. I am in fact using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free.

What do you mean by "BOOT from it"? Sorry if I sounded like a novice.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
14031 1326 3146
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That means you have to create bootable media from it (CD or USB stick), insert that into your PC, and THEN start your PC.

You will probably have to press F9 to get a boot devices menu, and then select the CD or USB stick.

You may also see a line of text at the top of the screen about pressing any key to boot from the device.  If you do, then press the space bar.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
alaw Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

I originally used the desktop version of the program and it doesn't have a boot option. Then I realized there is a separate bootable version of the program from the website.

I downloaded the ISO file, burnt the image onto disc, and tried to boot from it. I managed to get the program running in boot mode, but the partition is still locked.

Any other pointers?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation