cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Problem with PCI-e slots on Pavilion S51200ZCTO

HP Recommended

Hi.  I bought this computer to use as a media server replacing a failed 3300Z two weeks ago.  One of it's functions is Rs232 control of my AV reciever.  I bought a cheap PCI-e serial adapter online and installed it.  The machine refused to boot with the card installed in any of the three slots.  Hung at the HP Splash screen.  Decided my 12 card was obvious junk, so I went downtown and bought another card for $30.  Same issue.

What I've done:

Disabled all 3 PCIe x1 slots and the minicard slot.

The machine will boot with the card installed, but of course this is kind of useless.

I enabled the slots selectively . 

The machine will fail to boot anytime the first slot is enabled and either of the two  cards is installled.

If the first slot is disabled, I can enable slots two and three and the machine will boot properly with either card installed.

I installed each card in turn in slot 2, and enabled only slot 2 in the bios.

Windows 7 will not find either card.

I installed each card in turn manually.

They installed but  show an error code 10 (device can't be started)

I've just about confcluded that there has to be a systemboard issue.

I am a very technical user.  I have been upgrading and  maintaining my own machines for about 25 years and I have never encountered this kind of problem with a simple PnP device install. 

If anyone has any idea I'll try it.  I'm not relishing the thought of working my way through HP's support tiers to convince them there's a real problem, or having to ship the computer back for repair.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
12,301 12,101 1,668 4,652
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Could you please list the serial cards?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Interesting that you  should ask:

First card is "Best Connectivity" model SD-PEX15022. Chipset is MOSChip 9901 series.

Second Card is IOFlex Model IO-PEPSP210 -- Label on the front of the box.  However on the end of the box it says

"Best Connectivity" and the label on the back of the card says SD-PEX50030.  Chipset is MOSChip 9922 series.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, I fatfingered the IOFlex PN.  Should be PESP210.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the chipset, here is a different card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124112

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link.  I was able to return the locally purchased card today, so I thought I'd try one more time  --

with a different chipset.  I don't hold out much hope, but if it works I'd much rather be out the money for a bad card than to have to hassle a warranty repair. (In fairness to HP, I've done one warrany issue with them before, and it went smoothly and quickly -- ten years ago, however.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Received the new card today. Installed with no issues and is working fine. I'm still astounded that the MOSchip cards woudn't work at all.
I guess standards don't mean much anymore. As I mentioned this is the first time in 25 years I've ever seen this. It truely looks like a firmware problem rather than drivers.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That you for confirming the different chipset was the answer.

Also appreciate the Solution and Kudo toggles.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello 'top-student',

I'm glad that you have a solution to your problem; I wish I was that lucky.

You seem to be much more technically proficient computer-wise than I am; I wish I was you :).

I'd like to ask what OS you used.

'Associate Professor' wanted more info concerning my cards.

On my HP Pavilion p6-2021, I have Win7-64bit and it won't work with either card I've tried, which happen to be:

card #1. From Hong Kong via Amazon...4 RS-232 Serial Port COM to PCI-E Card Adapter MOSCHIP (MOSCHIP MCS9904 Chipset)

card #2. StarTech PEX2S553LP.

Card#1 hangs at the very first screen that shows on power-up; the directions provide for Win7-64bit driver.

Card#2 gets past that screen, the screen goes blank and hangs on a blincking cursor; this vendor implied to me that either the card is bad or I don't have the latest BIOS. Shoot...my computer is only 5 months old.

Let me write that I follow installation directions religiously to the letter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 1
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OS is 64 bit Win7 Home Premium.  Isn't your second card also using a MOSchip device?  Looks like a more apt title for this thread might be "Problems with MOSchip PCI-e on AMD based machines.   Any, for $20 you might as well try the SYBA card in WB2001's link.  All I can tell you for sure is that it isn't based on a MOSchip design, and it works for me.  If it works for you that would make two data points and this thread might save some searching soul some time and aggravation in the future.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation