Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I just purchased an 8Gb SanDisk SDHC card but find that I can't save or copy files to it from my desktop PC - I get a message saying the card is write-protected, despite the fact that it is unlocked.
I have since been told that some older card readers can't cope with higher capacity cards so, to see whether that was the problem, I inserted a 1Gb SD card but I still get the same message i.e. the card is write-protected, although clearly it is not as photos, video clips, audio files etc. have already been written to it! So it seems I cannot save or copy files to any SD card regardless of its capacity.
I'm hoping someone will be able to explain why my PC is telling me a card is write-protected when it isn't. It looks to me as if the problem is not with the cards but with the card reader i.e being either faulty or just rubbish. If that's the case, can it be repaired/replaced/upgraded? My PC is an HP PAVILION model t3529.uk purchased in 2006.
I'll be very grateful for any help or advice anyone can give
MM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Just thought I'd give you the good news. I had a reply from SanDisk this morning. This is what they told me to do

"If the lock switch is not on lock:
1. Slide the switch up and down. Repeat this 3 times.
2. Let it stay on the Lock position for 30 seconds.
3. Slide the switch up to unlock the card.
4. Try to transfer files into the device."

I have no idea what this is all about (why three times and why 30 seconds!) - it seems crazy that it's so simple - but it works! The card is no longer write-protected and I can save files to it.

I hope this will help someone else - I can't be the only one to have had this problem ..... can I????

Thanks for taking an interest.

MM

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Use the Panasonic SD formatting tool and reformat the SD stick. You can find the tool on the internet.  Hopefully you don't have data on the stick thatt you need.  Have you looked for drivers updates for your SD reader?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Checked out the Panasonic formatter as suggested but SanDisk 8Gb card doesn't appear to be supported. I tried the SanDisk formatter but it says it can't format the card because the card is write-protected. I got the same answer when I tried to format the card using device manager. It seems that a card needs to be already un write-protected before you can format it!

Checked the HP site for driver updates but there don't seem to be any for the card reader.

Thanks though - and if you have any other thoughts ..........

HP Recommended

Hi Dave,

Just thought I'd give you the good news. I had a reply from SanDisk this morning. This is what they told me to do

"If the lock switch is not on lock:
1. Slide the switch up and down. Repeat this 3 times.
2. Let it stay on the Lock position for 30 seconds.
3. Slide the switch up to unlock the card.
4. Try to transfer files into the device."

I have no idea what this is all about (why three times and why 30 seconds!) - it seems crazy that it's so simple - but it works! The card is no longer write-protected and I can save files to it.

I hope this will help someone else - I can't be the only one to have had this problem ..... can I????

Thanks for taking an interest.

MM

HP Recommended

I have no idea why this works. Considering SD cards don't have a power source and should have have a "memory" of anything when not plugged into a device I have no answer. This does work. I just did it and then formatted the SD card and was able to write files to it.  This is the craziest solution to a problem that I have heard of in my 23 years of troubleshooting issues with computers. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Most Pavilions have an SD card slot that deteriorates over time with frequent use until the contacts that 'detect' the write protect status get dirty or deformed.  The result is either failure to detect the card when inserted or a false detection of write protect status. 

The solution ranges from simple blowing out the slot to dislodge any dirt to physical repositioning of the fatigued contacts so that the unlocked status is again detectable.

Although HP Pavilions are notorious for this problem, it also applies to many other devices.  Perhaps the SD card slot comes from a common supplier - I don't know, but it's 99.9% likely that the slot contacts are at fault when you get a false write protect status no matter what SD card is inserted.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.