Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 2 (1,481 Views)

Programs unable to connect to remote server in Windows 7

I have several programs (TurboTax, PhotoStory, Adobe, MyPublisher) that are unable to connect to remote server in order to udpate/register/etc.  When I start TurboTax it looks for an update, but come back with an error "unable to connect to remote server". When I installed PhotoStory and tried to activate I get "an internet connection could not be established". Similar error when I try to check/update my Java version. My internet connection is fine and I've also turned off my windows firewall and antivirus in order to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 2 (1,476 Views)

Re: Programs unable to connect to remote server in Windows 7

If you are able to connect to all the general Internet websites other than these specific applications which seek for updates; then it could be probably application/service dependability issue. However you may check if the Windows Automatic Updates is enabled and you are running windows with all the essential services enabled in the MSCONFIG.

You may ensure it by clicking Start >> RUN >> type MSCONFIG >>press enter.

This will open a system configuration utility.

In the General tab >> under Start up selection>> Select Normal Start Up -- Load all Device drivers and services >> Click apply and OK.

http://www.mrtechblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/msconfig-medium.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation