Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a Z620 Dual Xeon E5-2660 PC. During POST procedure, there are error messages abot QPI links:

932 - Warning one of the QPI links is not operating

929 - Fatal MCA error. QPI0 error detected CPU0

929 - Fatal MCA error. QPI1 error detected CPU1

When I press F1 the system boots and works normally.

When I disconnect a riserboard with a second CPU there are no errors at all.

Is there any solution?2017-03-09 15.52.27.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The Z620 can run some processors that have only 1 QPI link, and you cannot add a second processor to one like that.  You need 2 QPI links for each processor to run 2 processors.

The E5-2660 processors have 2 QPI links each..... 

From instinct:  

1.  Update your BIOS to the latest.  Set BIOS back to defaults after clearing the CMOS fully by the special methods of disconnecting everything for several hours and do several cycles of press/hold the power on button then cmos button then back and forrth 5 times while also shorting the 3 prongs on the power supply with your fingers to draw off all power from all capacitors/circuits  everywhere in the box.  Video cables can carry low voltage to the motherboard, for example, so I do mean disconnect everything of all types before you start this process.  Go overboard, then hook back up and boot into BIOS and set to defaults (under the first tab), and save the changs on the way out of BIOS.  Check again for if this fixed the problem.  If not........

2.  I'd then remove the second processor from socket CPU1 and test out the one in socket CPU0.  I'd clean the pin pads on the removed processor with DNA (tiny amount... slightly damp paper towel.  I'd blow out the socket with compressed air and try again.  A little debris might be in the wrong spot.  Don't bend the very delicate pins.... protect them carefully.  Put the processor back in with fresh Noctua thermal compound (so thin you can almost see through it).

3.  If no joy I'd then do that all with CPU0 processor/socket and test again.

4.  If no joy I'd buy one used E5-2660 off eBay.  There is only 1 sSpec code, so look for that under eBay search of SR0KK.  That is a zero in the middle.  About $50.00 USD.  Nice buy.... these are $1329.00 new from Intel if you want to go that way...... 

5.  Repeat steps 2-3 trying to find what processor is bad.

6.  Get back to us with what was the solution.... it will be interesting to know.  I predict you will solve this.

HP Recommended

Did you fix this?

HP Recommended

Hi Michael! I had the same problem as you and fixed this by reseating the memories (RAM) in the ram sockets.

I picked them off, cleaned with isopropylic alcohol and found a small white paint on 2 of the copper connectors.

I cleaned them, installed RAM memories back in sockets in another order and voila!  First boot without "MCA 932 QPI link "error.  The message shown is same as yours.

My workstation: Z620 - Dual Xeon E5-2690  with 4x 8GB DDR3 EEC

HP Recommended

Hi Damo! I fixed the same error, same workstation and posted the solution here.

UPDATE: Problem is up again. Today after 15 days,  my Z620 froze 2 times followed by self shutdown.

On the 2nd shutdown, I booted the PC and it showed again the QPI links error. Same as before!

I don't know how the RAM memories can move themselves inside the case by their own? Or .... I don't know what is happening.

Last time I also upgraded the BIOS to J61 3.92 from  3.91

HP Recommended

And now after reseatting the riser board, it shows only CPU1  error  ( which is located on the riser board)

20180507_113631.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.