cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
nfromm17 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

RAM Upgrade HELP!

HP Pavilion Elite m9600t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on my Desktop & I need help to make sure I get the right type.  I currently have 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) DDR3 CL9 in 4 of the 6 slots.  On the HP site the specifications say I can have a maximum memory of 24 GB (6 x 4 GB).  Can I ass two 4 GB DDR3 CL9 sticks to my current RAM and not have any issues or do I have to get two 2 GB sticks?  Do I have to get DDR3 or will my current DDR3 be compatible with DDR3L?  Also, does it have to be CL9 or can it be CL11 or CL13?  Please help, I just want to make sure I don't have any compatibility issues.  Please let me know my best option for filling those 2 open slots.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
24,652 21,050 2,407 7,999
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

RAM Upgrade HELP!

@nfromm17, welcome to the forum.

Here is the memory upgrade information for the computer:

Triple channel memory architecture
Six 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
Supports PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066) DIMM types
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 4 GB DDR3 DIMMs
Supports up to 24 GB on 64-bit PCs
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32-bit PCs

The problem is that HP doesn't give any further specs of the memory.  So, I can't tell you if CL 11 will work with any certainty.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

RAM Upgrade HELP!

Ok, thanks. So I won't have any issues if I plug in two 4 GB sticks in addition to the current four 2 GB sticks? & will there be any issues if I get DDR3L sticks? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
24,652 21,050 2,407 7,999
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

RAM Upgrade HELP!

You are welcome, @nfromm17.

Here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory.  If it is recommended by Crucial it is guaranteed to work or it will be replaced at not additional cost to you.

If it were me, I would pull the current memory sticks and add new Ballistix memory.  It is their best memory and replacing all of the memory will ensure that there are no conflicts.  If you don't want to replace all of it, you can contact their Tech Support to see what they recommend.

Another way to boost system performance even more is, consider looking at one of their SSD's.  It will increase boot speed and programs opening tremendously.  I will never have another computer without a SSD boot drive.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation