Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
focusbob Tutor
Tutor
10 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

RAM upgrade with liquid cooling

HPE h9-1170t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade from 16gb to 32gb of RAM. 2 of my 4 DIMM slots are occluded by the liquid cooling radiator in my PC. The documentation for the computer states that 2 of the 4 DIMMs (ie the occluded ones) cannot be upgraded because of the liquid cooling. However, it looks like if I removed 4 screws and the radiator/fan, I could access the 2 DIMM slots in question without disturbing the liquid cooling (pop in new RAM, screw back in the radiator). Has anyone tried this that can verify before I start pulling it apart?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
20779 2294 7632
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@focusbob, welcome back to the forum.

According to the specifications, the maximum memory is 16 GB.  You will see this in the link that I provided in the section titled "Memory".  This is most likely because of the two slots being blocked.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K (OC'd to 5.2 GHz); 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Tutor
10 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

According to the bios update documentation and other sources I cannot pinpoint at the moment but remember seeing, the pc is capable of running 32gb ram maximum. The maximum ram limitation is not related to the liquid cooling assembly. For one thing, the same pc is available without liquid cooling and has the exact same ram specifications.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
20779 2294 7632
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @focusbob.

If you look at the link that I provided in my first post, this what you will see under Memory:

Memory
Memory slots: 4 DIMMS
Maximum memory:
16 GB (4 x 4 GB)

If two of the slots are blocked you may not be able to populate all of them.  This is the only information that I have on the computer.

HP has their motherboards made to their specs and it may be that this motherboard is used in other models that have a larger maximum memory.  By using the same motherboards in various models and using different configurations, is how HP meets different price points.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K (OC'd to 5.2 GHz); 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation