cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
wz1
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ram upgrade

Compaq CQ5320F
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Product #: AY030AA-ABL.  My board has a Realtek ALC661. Want to upgrade the ram and have 2 slots.  Can I put 2 X 4GB 1333 DDR3 for total of 8GB?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Level 15
Level 15
9,699 9,695 910 2,648
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ram upgrade

According to THIS PAGE the motherboard supports a max of 4GB and uses this type memory

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    • PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs

I have seen motherboards support more than what the spec says but you are on your own if the memory you spec does not work.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
wz1
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ram upgrade

Confusing for me. I have 64bit OS and specs stated 2GB DDR2 DIMMS.  I'm presently using DDR3 so I was wondering if its possible.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
9,699 9,695 910 2,648
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ram upgrade

Yes, it says that 2GB memory per slot with only two slots.  Meaning 4GB max.  Even though your OS is 64Bit, which can use all of the 4GB vs the 32Bit that cannot use all of the 4GB.

The original post ask about 8GB, which the spec page says will not work.

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

wz1
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ram upgrade

well that's too bad for me. now I have to change board that accepts X2 280.What's the PSU ratings. My videocard needs 300 watts. What about the partion on the HDD. Can I get the Windows install to the new board? thanks for any help?
0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
9,699 9,695 910 2,648
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ram upgrade

Well now, that changes what the original post was asking.  BTW: what video card is under consideration? THIS PAGE indicates what the specs are for the Presario CQ5320F Desktop.

The PSU is 250W.  If the intent now is to get the 8GB memory no matter what, I would try it first on the board.  No harm if it does not work, then if it does not, look for a motherboard replacement that can use all of the hardware.  Keep in mind that the Windows OS is OEM and it probably will not transfer to a different motherboard unless it is a HP original.

I do not understand the question concerning the HDD, but it is only 500GB and could be easily replaced with a 1TB for $50-60 US, since a reinstall of Windows will be needed.  No harm, no foul.

0 Kudos
wz1
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ram upgrade

The OS is on a 10GB Partition called Factory Image. the videocard is a fanless Nvidia 210 or 620GT 1GB DDR3. Adding ram and videocard is only an $80 upgrade.  Changing other parts is basically better off buying new system.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
9,699 9,695 910 2,648
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ram upgrade

With all that is on the "wish list" at this point, and the fact that you cannot do what is asked with the motherboard in the present PC, perhaps it would be better to just start fresh with a different PC.  Especially since with each new post, there is a new set of circumstances to consider.

0 Kudos
wz1
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ram upgrade

I went ahead and bought a new graphics card and 2 gig ram DDR3.  Everything works except for bios reporting new memory as non existent, empty slot but Windows reports it fine along with Speccy sysinfo.  Apparently i have a Pegatron Narra6 ver. 6.01 board but with an alc662 audio codec instead of the als888s reported on the hp website.  I also have bios ver. 5.17.  Can you tell me what I really have and point me to the correct mainboard page on the Hp website?  Can I also have a bios upgrade to correct the misreported ram slot.  Can I get a definative answer on using 2 X 4GB DDR3 ram chips?  I bought a Kingston value ram 2 Gb DDR3 chip to match the 2 gig DDR3 on slot2.  They have the same timings and Windows doesn't crash.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation