cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
28 16 1 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Solved!

Re-Installing HP Support Assistant

HP Recommended

My PC is an HP G5350UK running Windows 7 64 bit

I am trying to re-instal HP Support Assistant but have, so far, been unsuccessful. 

I downloaded and tried to run both sp44304.exe and sp58919.exe which have been suggested in different HPSA links.  I am prompted to overwrite the files which I do but then nothing happens.  Apparently I should be prompted to select "Yes" and allow the program to restart the computer.  Unfortunately nothing happens.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,901 16,800
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following

First of all, see if you can uninstall your current version of HP Support Assistant by using the Microsoft 'Fixit' on the following link - this is particularly useful in correcting issues that may prevent reinstallation on machines running a 64bit OS.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

When this has completed, restart the PC.

Let windows fully reload, then even if you still have the latest HPSA installer, download it again from the following link and save it to your Downloads folder.

HP Support Assistant.

Next, if you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip - the .msi 64-bit x64 installer is on the link below.

http://www.7-zip.org/

When done, open your Downloads folder, right click the installer, select 7-zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted sp58919 folder and you'll see another installer called Setup - right click this and again, select 7-zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted Setup folder, right click the setup application ( 4th down with a size of 249Kb ) and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.

Does the installation now complete and if so, does HPSA work correctly?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
28 16 1 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately this hasn't worked.  I followed your instructions, unzipped and ran the setup file as administrator.  I was asked if I wanted to allow changes to be made and clicked on Yes but then nothing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Run the 'Fixit' again and use it to uninstall HPSA - does the fixit detect a HPSA installation and if so, does it uninstall it without error?

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
28 16 1 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I rang Fixit again but there is no evidence of the HP Support Assistant.  I uninstalled HPSA using Revo Uninstaller after it stopped working and the HP website suggested removing it and re-installing it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome Smiley Happy

I still believe this issue is being caused by either an incomplete removal of a previous version of HPSA, or a corruption of the registry keys responsible for configuring the installation.

Try the following.

Download the installer for the latest version of HPSA again from the following link and save it to your Downloads folder.

HP Support Assistant - 58919.

When done, open your Downloads folder and as before, right click the installer, select 7-zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted sp58919 folder and you'll see another installer called Setup - right click this and again, select 7-zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted Setup folder, right click the bottom file titled UninstallHPSA application ( with a size of 112Kb ) and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the uninstall routine.

You will probably see no visual sign that this is running, so leave the PC alone for a good 10 minutes - When done, restart the PC.

When windows has reloaded, clear your Downloads folder of all the HPSA installers and extracted folders, then download the following version and save it to your Downloads folder.

HP Support Assistant - 44304.

When done, open your Downloads folder, right click the installer, select 7-zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted sp44304 folder, right click the bottom file titled UninstallHPTCA application ( with a size of 406Kb ) and select 'Run as Administrator' to start this uninstall routine.

Again, you will almost certainly see no visual sign that this is running, so leave the PC alone for a good 10 minutes - When done, restart the PC again.

Let windows fully load, then see if you can use Recovery Manager to reinstall your original version of HP Support Assistant - the procedure for using recovery manager to reinstall Software and Drivers is detailed in the document on the link below.

Recovery Manager - Windows 7

Does this version install Ok and if so, does it run correctly when launched?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
28 16 1 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following are the HPSA "versions" I have found either in the in the "swsetup" directory or downlowded from the HP site:

sp44304;

sp54620;

sp58915;

sp58919;

I have uninstalled each version using UninstallHPSA.exe either from the links in your reply or direct from the swsetup directory where there isn't a new copy, however, when I run  Recovery Manager it states that I still need to uninstall HPSA.

Where I have downloaded from the links in your earlier reply I have now deleted the appropriate directories as requested, however I haven't removed anything from the swsetup directory.

Is there anything else I can do?

Charlie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Charlie,

Here are a couple of further options to try.

1.  Download and install the free version of Revo Uninstaller from the link below.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-freeware-version.php

Run revo and see if this detects any HPSA software. If it does, right click the entry and select Uninstall. During the process you may be asked to delete registry entries, just select all and then click delete. Do the same for any left-over files and folders. Once the uninstall has completed, restart the PC.  Download the latest version of HPSA and try the installation again.

2.  If the above does not detect any HPSA installation, just try using the Microsoft 'Fixit' to install the latest version and let me know what happens.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
22 22 3 7
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

have you tried going into the software folder(swsetup folder) where HPSA downloaded. find version..open folder.. there should be an uninstall .exe in folder to run to totally uninstall HPSA.. turn off A/V then down load most current version. and reinstall tried it this morning and it worked

although I am an HP employee.. My opinions are mine and mine only and do not reflect the company..
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
28 16 1 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying. 

I ran Recovery Manager and it showed that HPSA was still installed, however, I pressed "next" in error and it went ahead and re-installed HPSA with no problems.  It has a different logo which I had to copy to the bottom tool bar rather than the earlier "HP" logo which was embedded in the tool bar but, apart from that, it seems to be OK.

Thanks for all your help with this problem.  Much appreciated.

Charlie

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation