cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tadders Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recovery Disc Creation Problems

I tried to create a set of recovery discs using DVD+R discs. This is the first time I have tried to burn any discs on my new HP Pavilion Slimline s3700y PC. I started the recovery disc program and after it burned the first of 3 recovery discs, the software said the program failed and gave me a disc failure (20) code. I tried another DVD+R disc and got the same thing. What is going on? Using Explorer I can see the first disc is full of data, so I think it recorded OK. However, the program does not ask me to insert disc #2 and it says at the start that I will need 3 discs. Please help.:smileysad:
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Provost Provost
Provost
44613 44349 3332 13948
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is a firmware upgrade posted for your dvd-drive which addresses Recovery Disk problems:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3856275

If that does not help,contact HP.Usually they will send a set free if your software fails.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
tadders Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Cheryl, your help fixed the problem and my recovery disks came out OK.

Tad

0 Kudos
Phaxius Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem on my HP Pavillion dv7-1264nr.  After looking on the specific support page for this model, there is apparently no available firmware for the HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT10L ATA Device (as device manager lists it) that comes with this machine. Any Ideas?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
44613 44349 3332 13948
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Phaxius

The success of creating Recovery set depends on several things other than firmware needed.For instance ,services running such as anit-virus may affect it, all brands of media are not reliable and can cause failure.

I recently was in a discussion where the brand of DVD was debated,with one poster insisting that any well known brand should work. The brand he was using was a well known brand (Memorex) but I knew from experience that brand gives me more errors in any burning app. I suggested he try Sony which always gives me good results for all burning projects.I also get good results with Maxell and so-so reliabilty with Verbatim. After much debate over several days he finally gave in and tried Sony DVD+R and with a bit of sheepishness came back to report that it worked.

So my suggestion to you would be the same thing..try another brand of DVD. All brands are not reliable with all burners.You may find that another brand is more compatible with your drive.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Phaxius Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I tried several brands of media, nothing worked.  Using the same media that failed numerous times in the past, I did, however, finally get it to work.  The key in my case was to run the recovery disc creation program as administrator by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.  All three recovery dvd's were written and verified just fine :OpenSmile:

0 Kudos
Phaxius Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The three spools of DVD+R discs I tried were Verbatim, Maxell, and Memorex (for general purposes).  The set of recovery discs I now have are on Verbatim DVD+R (lightscribe).  Thanks again for such a speedy reply!

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46273 40534 4386 11286
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
mjkgupta Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried using the recovery media creation with 4 DVD-R discs, but after i enter the 1st disc, the prepare data process starts, but after 5% it gets stopped and doesnt move ahead. I waited for 30 mins but after that it bluntly gave me an error saying that the media creation is facing errors creating the disc.

I dont know what to do next.

Please Help.

i have HP- G6-1209 AX with windows 7 64 bit.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation