cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
CH761
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Recovery Disks

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I created recovery discs a year ago.  I am getting a message in the BIOs when booting up that the hard drive is going to fail. I don't know what to look for in the BIOS which I did.   Do I need to make another set of recovery discs?   I don'No repair work has been done on my computer. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,689
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Welcome to this forum.

> I created recovery discs a year ago. 

They still should be good for reinstalling Windows, but there is a better solution for your problem.

> I am getting a message in the BIOS when booting up that the hard drive is going to fail.

Believe the message.

If you are technically proficient:

1. Buy a new SEAGATE or WESTERN DIGITAL disk-drive, since the current one is in "imminent failure" status.

2. If you bought a SEAGATE, download a free "disk-cloning" program from SEAGATE's web-site.

If you bought a W.D., download a free "disk-cloning" program from W.D.'s web-site.

3. Install the software.

4. Connect the new disk-drive as a "slave" disk-drive, i.e., *NOT* removing the current disk-drive.

5. Run the "disk-cloning" software, to copy everything, byte-for-byte, from "old" to "new" disk-drive.

6. Shutdown.

7. Disconnect the "old" disk-drive.

8. Boot from the new disk-drive.  You'll find that all your personal files, and applications, are present.

9. Done.

If you're not comfortable with the above, find a friend who is, and ask for help.

Or, find and pay a qualified computer technician to do the above.

If this response helped you, please click "Accept As Solution", to indicate that your problem has been solved.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation