Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SamHill Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Recovery disks don't work

I have an HP Media Center PC m7170n. I replaced the original hard drive because the boot partition failed and tried to recover the system with recovery disks purchased from HP. The process proceeds through the 3rd disk but stalls without completing. It gets stuck on the blue recovery screen with the messages "DO NOT turn off your PC during this one-time setup process" etc. The green box indicator at the bottom scrolls indefinitely.  I can invoke the Windows Task Manager, shutdown the PC and restart it. I've restarted the recovery process both from the disks and the new hard drive's recovery partition (that was completed). It always stalls. This has gone on now two days. On my last attempt I let the recovery process go on at least ten hours. This can't be right.

I'm going to contact HP support again but their help on this problem has been somewhat contradictory. Two different agents suggested two different and contradicting solutions. I tried both with no success.

My options as I see it are:

1. Get the recovery process to work.

2. Install another OS. I have a licensed XP Pro system I can install but lack the proper drivers for the ethernet port and the video card. The chat agent's suggestions didn't work.

Any help on either option would be most welcome.

7 REPLIES
Professor
Professor
2491 134 244
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try removing and reinstalling the memory and cmos battery. Let it set a few minutes to clear out any garbage stored in memory and retry. Does it ask for the third disc durind installation?
Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 05-12-2009 12:35 PM
0 Kudos
SamHill Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since my initial post I discovered something interesting if not ludicrous. The recovery disks from HP are tailored to a specific disc. Thus the ones I bought from HP were for my initial disc, the one that crashed, not my new one. Anyway after spending a few hours on chat with HP the machine is up and running with one frustrating glitch. I have some external discs connected through USB ports and an HP Personal Media Drive. On occasion the system seems to lose connection with them and reports cache errors. I'm not quite sure what's causing that. If anyone has any ideas let me know and when I fix I'll certainly post it. Thanks for the reply.
0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
2491 134 244
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try updating the Chipset driver. it controls USB. Accept and install.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/license_agr.aspx?url=/16023/a08/infinst_autol.exe&ProductID=2115&agr...

0 Kudos
SamHill Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've already done that including the video, graphics and audio drivers. But something's still wrong. This morning the machine booted ok but after some hard disc activity the screen went black again. Rebooting didn't help. It kept cycling between the bootup screen where you're given the choice of hitting esc, f1 or f10, and the screen where you have to choose a bootup configuration. Regardless of whether I chose Last good configuration or Boot normally it kept repeating the cycle. Finally I gave up and am now trying to recover the system on the original hard drive. I'm starting to suspect something else is wrong. If the recover succeeds I think my suspicion would be valid. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
DEP_GA Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same problem(recovery disk do not work).  Have followed recommendations such as remove RAM and CMOS battery and then reinstall.  I am on my third attempt to reinstall the OS(HP Recovery Disk 1:2, 2:2, and Supplemental) on a new drive within my HP Pavilion a1710n desktop.

Are there other options that we haven't tried?

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1250 55 161
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Verify that optical drive is seen in BIOS.  Make sure optical drive is set as 1st boot, and HDD as 2nd boot.  Zero fill the hard drive.  If you still cannot load windows via recovery CD:

1.  Try another optical drive

2.  Recovery CD did not match the info on the motherboard (try another set).  May need to re-tag the BIOS

0 Kudos
SamHill Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Retag BIOS. I like the sound of that. But how do you do it?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation