cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replace original SATA with SSD and port over the recovery partition then install windows in SSD

hp envy 700-270d
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Dear Guru,

This my first HP so need help as:

Planning to get a SSD to become boot hdd.  Original will become data/backup hdd.

1) How can i port over the original hdd recovery partition to here and install the new ssd as the boot windows hdd so next time anything happen to my ori hdd i still can do recovery from the new ssd with valid windows license?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Replace original SATA with SSD and port over the recovery partition then install windows in SSD

Greetings,

Preserving the recovery partition and creating HP recovery media will most likely be an exercise in futility.

The HP Recovery partition may not work correctly unless the new SSD is the same size as your factory installed HDD. One or two TB SSD's are very expensive.

See below if you still want to proceed. Otherwise refer to devising a new backup strategy.

You can clone or migrate the existing HDD to the SSD.

Samsung SSD's usually ship with data migration software or you can download the software from Samsung. This software only works with Samsung SSD's.

The easiest solution is to create HP Recovery discs or a Recovery USB stick.

Please see this HP Support document for instructions.

I recommend using a 32 GB USB drive. The recovery process is much quicker than using discs.

Again, no HP recovery options will work on the SSD unless the size of the new SSD is equal to the factory installed HDD or HP offered an SSD configuration option at purchase equal to the size of the SSD you are installing.

This means if you have to do a factory recovery you will have to recover to the factory HDD and then migrate the operating system to the SSD again.

You need a new backup and recovery plan for your operating system.

Check out Macrium free or Paragon Free or purchase one of them. I am pretty sure both program's provide for cloning the operating system to SSD's. I use a paid for version of Paragon and have cloned HP operating systems from larger HDD's to smaller SSD's with zero problems.

I use Paragon for backups and recovery purposes as the HP recovery options will not work on a smaller SSD.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
20,629 20,574 1,891 4,535
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JuniorOng

I heartily second the recommendation to use Macrium Reflect, as I have used it myself for years and found it to be very reliable.

In terms of "cloning", this implies making an EXACT COPY of the original drive -- which it obviously can not do if the target drive is smaller -- but with MR, you have the option of copying selected partitions to the target drive.  Thus, if you shrink down the OS partition, do not select the Recovery partition, and the resulting total space is smaller than the SSD capacity, you will effectively be able to "clone" the HDD onto the SDD.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB drive adapter
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
750 736 67 131
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The paid for version of Paragon allows cloning to disparate sized media and resizes partitions on the fly.

That is one of the reasons why I like Paragon.

Jay

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation