cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Les
Level 3
72 50 0 4
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Replacement power supply help

I have a Pavilion d4100e computer. I will soon be replacing my video card (fan is starting to give me intermittent problems). The new card will probably require more power (I'll be adding more video memory, etc.)., so I'll need t replace my present 400W power supply.

The problem will be finding one that fits the case. My present PS is a LITEON model PS-6401-08HT (HP P/M 5188-0127).

Dimensions are: 5 3/8" long (front to rear), 5 7/8" wide, 3 3/8" high. Width and height are constarined by the case sheet metal. The length is confined by the spring snaps that hold keep the PS from sliding into the case for removal, but I could probably accommodate a longer PS if I just let the springs rest against the side of the PS (basically making them non-functional.

Can you recomment a replacement PS, prefereably 600W or highr,  that will fit my dimensional constraints (including the bolt hole pattern on the rear)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
edbergjun
Level 6
360 338 14 94
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

you have a standar power supply...try this corsair HX650w...650 watts

Les
Level 3
72 50 0 4
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for the reply.

The HX650w looks like a very nice supply, but the length is a bit longer than my old supply. However, while I was at the Corsair site, I looked at the VX550w, which appears to be a perfect fit . Although not as high capacity as I would have liked, the extra 150 watts over my original 400 watt supply should suffice for a new graphics card.

Now I just need to find a store here in Denver that stocks it.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
DeniseM-Toronto
Level 4
82 73 1 12
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The extra length shouldn't be a problem.  I found my new power supply was a bit longer, but it still fits in the case.

The little springy things end up not doing anything, but if screwed in the power supply is still solid.

Les
Level 3
72 50 0 4
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks, Denise.

That's what I suspected, but those springs appear quite sturdy, and I was concerned that they would be required to help support the PS in the case. However, given your experience, I think I'll go with the larger PS (the HX650w). Apart from the extra power capacity, I like its modular design.

Again, thanks to you both for your advice.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation