Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 5
296 271 4 20
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Replacing graphics card in an HP Pavilion p6300z

HP Recommended

I have a friend with an HP Pavilion p6300z which seldom runs more that a few minutes when doing much that changes the screen, such as some updates.  The screen then goes black, and using the mouse or the keyboard does not turn it back on.  One of its problems is that the fan of the graphics board doesn't spin, and is hard to turn manually, so I assume that a new graphics board is needed.

The motherboard provides a PCIE X16 socket for the graphics board, probably version 1.0.  Will graphics boards designed for newer PCIE X16 versions work in that socket on that motherboard?

AMD appears to have that graphics card among their retired products, but the web page for retired products was offline the last few times I tried to look at it.  Is there another source of information of the specs of the old card, so I can make sure the new card is an upgrade?

The computer's PSU is 250 watts, but the replacement graphics cards I've looked at all recommend a PSU of at least 400 watts.  How can I select a PSU compatible with that motherboard and frame?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
118,507 108,688 17,262 26,393
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I think a Nvidia GeForce 610 would work fine in that PC.

It has a maximum power draw of only 29 Watts.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-610/specifications

Graphics card manufacturer's normally overstate the power supply requirements for their products so they don't have to be concerned with folks claiming their cards overtaxed the power supplies on their PC.

After all, video card manufacturers don't know how many hard drives, optical drives, usb devices etc are connected to any specific PC.

An alternative card would be the geForce 210 at 30.5 Watts.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-210/specifications

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 5
296 271 4 20
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for that part of an answer, but I need a few more details before I can use it.

The GeForce 210 and the GeForce 610 are listed as for PCI-E 2.0 sockets, but the motherboard socket is shown as PCI-E X16, with no version number, so version 1.0 seems likely.  Is matching the PCI-E version numbers necessary?

Also, both the AMD site for retired products and the ASUS site for their old products are currently unreachable (the old board is from ASUS, although also marked with an HP part number).  How can I check if the proposed new board has more capability than the old board?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
118,507 108,688 17,262 26,393
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

PCIe 2.0 is backward compatible. 

PCIe 2.1 may not be (depending on the age of the chipset), which is why I recommended the nvidia cards above, and not the AMD HD 6450 which has similar specs but is PCIe 2.1.

That is the best I can do for you.  There are no advertised PCI express specs on the nForce 430 chipset.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpu_mobo_tech_specs.html

If you want more information regarding PCI express, please read this article at the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation