Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 550-103NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I have a brand new HP 550 and I notice when I right click on Wndows button and do a restart instead of restarting it just shuts down.  To get it to restart i have to push the power button.

I upgraded the Win 10 Home edition to a Win 10 Pro edition

Sleep mode is set to Never

Suggestions please?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@CliveMM

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the PC restarts instead of shutting down when commanded to shutdown,

No worries, if this is a dragon, I'll show you how to train this dragon 😉

Did you know there's an option to change what the power button & LID does, among other options on the control panel?

Follow the below steps to make changes, small tweaks to resolve your concern:

You can save power by specifying what the computer does when you close the lid or when you press the power button. 

• Depending on the setting you specify, pressing the power button causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down. 

• Depending on the setting you specify, closing the lid causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down. 

Use the following steps to change power button and lid settings: 

1. At the Start screen, type power options to open the Search charm. Select Power Options in the Search results. 

2. In the left pane, click Choose what the power buttons do or Choose what closing the lid does. 

3. To change settings for the power button, click the arrow next to When I press the power button, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes. 

4. To change the lid closure setting, click When I close the lid, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes. 

To learn more about the power options: Click here 

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day! 

Regards, 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello

Thank you for your reply but I am afraid I misunderstood the question. If you read it again when I do a restart it shuts down.

I know and understand the options for the power settings and it's nothing to do with those settings. It seems to be something to do with the machine because it goes for the closedown procedure but then the start procedure  does not occur and the only option we have is to switch the power off and on again. 

HP Recommended

Hi Clive

This sounds like a system file problem that may have happened when updating to Windows 10 Pro.

Run the System File Checker.

This may find and fix this problem.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.